1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to Use on Sidewalks?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rnblase, Sep 21, 2008.

1. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Can any one help me select a product to use on sidewalks. The walks I have are brand new, they are next to a lake with fish and lots of new landscaping. Approximately 58,000 sq.ft
    I need something to melt snow and ice without hurting the concrete, plants, or fish in the lake.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Rick

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Product Description
    Begins melting immediately upon impact!

Home Use: Contains calcium chloride that makes this de-icer melts ice & snow quicker! You have to apply less times than rock salt. Use it like any other salt de-icer! Safe on streets, driveways, sidewalks, steps and the environment! Doesn’t track… and it’s odourless and colourless!

Car Use: Road Runner Ice Melt provides quick melting on ice or in snow. It effectively melts ice and snow down to –23°C! Just store in your car truck for additional weight!

ROAD RUNNER always has the advantage Contains calcium chloride – the fastest dry de-icer on the market. Begins melting immediately upon impact – generates melting heat fast. Effectively melts ice down to -23°C. Needs fewer applications than rock salt. Safe on streets, driveways, sidewalks, steps and the environment – when applied correctly. Doesn't track – it's colourless and odourless. ROAD RUNNER Clears the way National distribution

rr.jpg

3. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Thank you for your suggestion, but I can not use a product that contains salt.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've used the road runner salt for a while - it really does start melting on contact. The down side are the bags are only 40# and they are running $9 a bag from lowes. I can't find any other resource for buying them at the or near the price of a 50# of the regular rock salt which goes for $3.82.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i have made my own mixes in the past for a fraction of the cost since most of these ice melter are just a combination of salt and 1 or 2 key products like calcium

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

just use straigh calcuim, =espensive or urea = cheaper, but doesnt work as well

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

There is no salt in this.

I used this on new sidewalks too.

8. DKG

DKG Senior Member

cannot use a product that contains salt meaning sodium or meaning chlorides? If you cannot use chlorides (sodium,calcium,mag,potacium) then you are limited to acetates which are pricey.
    Would liquids be an option?

9. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

I tried a calcium brine liquid application last year, as we were testing a few sample products for our liquid anti icing treatments. Found that the liquid calcium using pelladow cuased more sparring of the concrete than strait salt. Also, found that the salt brine did no damage at all.

10. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

11. sherwin

sherwin Member

As DKG stated Acetates are the only product that will not attack or harm new concrete. The problem is they are so expensive, nobody can afford them. Some chlorides are safer- heck water alone can seep into the pores and cause sparring. We've had so many issues with new concrete we only use sand for traction. Usually the sun will allow for melting and scraping within a couple of days. Double sealing the concrete may help. If it comes down to the property needing to be clear-get it in writing that you are not responsible for any damage caused by ice melt products.