1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use on new Stamped concrete

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DaySpring Services, Dec 15, 2007.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Church that got new stamped concrete sidewalk in August. What is the best thing to use on them without any damage? I'm a little worried, I dont want to be responsible for pitting.

2. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

I have a few residential clients with stamped concrete walkways and we were told to use either calcium chloride flakes or landscapers choice mix. Wont pit concrete and doesnt harm lawns.

3. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

Pure CMA.

Landscapers Choice is rock salt and dolomitic limestone filler. Crap.

4. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I'd be interested in hearing from others as well. I have a customer that had a stamped concrete driveway installed this summer and i've never plowed one before. From what i can tell from researching the subject anything metal should not be used (shovels, steel cutting edges etc) and salt should not be used either. I also have studded tires and am thinking it might be best to not plow her anymore.

5. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

Rubber cutting edges only on this surface......I would Not use any ice melt on a New Stamped concrete walk, patio, drive.....If you have to use anything.....CMA is your best course of action......:salute:

6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

First and best defense is to make sure it's sealed properly. There are winterizing sealers that can be applied to minimize damage. You may want to include the concrete installer on his own recommendations, because often times whomever is in charge of what products are used, that person becomes named the scape goat when the concrete fails. I would seriously ask that the installer write his own protocol, and let that be sorted out between he and the client, otherwise I would have the client sign off on what products are to be used.

7. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

I AM a concrete installer......No such thing as a Winter sealer...There are sealers which should be put down after job completion...Surface should be sealed every year or two there after....

As for a protocol.....I would recomend NO ice melter the first year....But, that in some cases that is not possible....So,CMA is the next best option....

8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

This may help.

According to the American Concrete Institute, the
    rate of chemical attack of calcium chloride on
    concrete is “negligible”.
    In an article titled, “Winter Weather, Deicers Need
    Not Damage Concrete,” published by the Portland
    Cement Association, calcium chloride is called one of
    the “safest deicers for concrete”.
    Independent laboratory tests produced results
    consistent with the above statements.