1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use for marking posts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sno4U, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

We use marking posts. I use metal t-posts which I paint a yellow tip on so I know they're mine,many others use T-s also.
    I was out today at a driveway and I must have hit 1 and tipped it into oncoming traffic. I bent it back straight thinking"if this isn't a liability issue, I don't know what is". I had another 1 that got sheared off and now I wonder if I'll hit the stub in the ground and get a flat tire some night.
    My other driver backed over one and when he drove forward it tried running itself up thru the box.
    I have to rethink this idea!!!
    I was thinking wood slats w/ painted tips but am unsure if they will be sturdy enough to withstand a little snow being pushed against them.
    What do U use?

2. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

fiberglass stakes.. a little costly but charge to the cust. maybe a little safer than what ur using now..

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

wood stakes......

4. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Fiberglass stakes are prob about the best I know of, they work good with a little reflective tape or paint, and they are flexible so if you hit them they wont break as easy as wood stakes and wont damage vehicles as bad if any like metal stakes.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Call me a little wierd, but I thought the whole idea of putting marking stakes in the ground was to mark the pavement, or drive inbetween. For the life of me I can't figure out why your hitting them to begin with. I always put mine about 6 inches back from the edge, and when I plow I stay 6 inches away, and in 10 years of plowing I have yet to hit one to begin with. For the record I do use fiberglass stakes, but the idea is to stay away from them and then it's not a problem

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I had a pice of re-bar go through my fender once. Fiberglass stakes I can get them for 1.50 at Job Lot! Cut the wood, paint it? my time is worth more than the wood stakes cost me. And the Glass stakes bend! I lift the blade and I can push snow rite over them and they spring up.

7. NCass31

NCass31 Member

i went down to the lumber yard bought 4' wooden stakes in bulk. i overstimated my need for them by... well, lets just say i have about 75 or so laying around here. commercial account or two fell through. got them for 89 cents a piece. painted the tips Hi Viz Orange and put some flourescent tape on there too. so if anyone in northern CT or most of western mass needs some let me know... i'll give em to ya cheap...

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

9. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

Same here....They are markers... not... see how close I can get to them..This is not a road test guys..Not myself or any of my guys ever hit a marker if they did it's back to plowing 101..go slower and open your eyes while you plow..

10. theplowmeister

from MA

Alwasegreener, RC2505

Why do you use stakes? with them that far away from the edge you have to guess at where the edge really is! you can guess without the stakes save the stake money and buy a stake dinner:nod:

11. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Well the 1 my driver hit was on the curve of a driveway he was backing down and he didn't see it b/c we usually have about a pallet of salt in each truck-it would be the same visbility it where a V-box salter.
    The 2 I hit where b/c we/ve had alot of snow and I'm trying to push back past the edges to make room for more and we've had issues w/ drifting. These are flat,level w/ grade country driveways so we need them to at least start the season by defining "normal" plowing edges

12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If you set the stakes exactly 6 inches from the edge and then drop your plow 6 inches from the stake, I am trying to figure out where the guess work is here? I just can't seem to hit any stakes ( unless that is I am trying to), or loose the edge of the lot since the guess work has been taken out by a simple 2nd grade math formula

13. theplowmeister

from MA

You got better eyes than I do, I cant tell if I'm 4 inches or 8 inches from a stake when I'm moving. If i'm 4 inches I tor up 2 inches of lawn... I can tell if i will clear the stake or not.

14. Snowman16

Snowman16 Member

Hello all,
    I use orange fiberglass poles here, they are 3/8'' x 48'' and come 100 in a pack for $20.00
    They don't damage stuff IF you hit them. Are you guys inferring you never run off the pavement or hit anything? :confused: I bumped into a Mercedes Benz a while ago, because I was rushing too much.:dizzy:

15. ned5485

ned5485 Member

where do you get them? Or where do the rest of you guys get yours? 20 cents is pretty cheap.

16. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare Member
    from Indiana

I agree, Where can I get some of these.

17. theplowmeister

from MA

Me too I want some!

18. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

48" isnt high enough IMO. say you get a foot of snow, now your down to 3', pile a little snow near one, theres another foot, now your trying to look for markers sticking 12" above the snow.
    Just a thought. Property next to me is marked out with 48" stakes, you cant even see em anymore. Thats why I used 72" stakes.

19. NCass31

NCass31 Member

in a thread somewhere it was mentioned that markers are used as guides for the most part..which is true. after a push or two using the markers there will be enough of a difference in snow depth to tell the edges... i think the person that posted used like 12-18" surverying flags... this makes sense to me, but hey, i have only gotten 33 and a hal finches of snow this season, collectively.

20. ned5485

ned5485 Member

nobody knows?

Snowman, where do you get them? Share the wealth.
    And as far as a foot of snow goes; I would love to have to deal with that problem!

But, I would imagine, I will just plow to where the old snow edge is.