1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use for ballast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Banksy, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Fisher calls for 990 lbs of ballast in my truck :eek:

What in the world could I use that weighs close to that behind my rear axle? I can't think of anything other than a crap load of sand bags and I don't even know if they will even get near that kind of weight.

2. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Do a search for "Ballast". There's probably enough info there to keep you reading for a loooooong time! :nod:

3. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

most common is salt.. if you plow it kinda makes sence to have salt with u.......

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

20 - 20 KG bags of salt would do it. A skid is usually 56 bags so a little less then half a skid would be perfect.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks guys. I was thinking of making a box that fits between the wheel well humps and the tail gate. Just wasn't sure what to put in it. I'd love to find some 50lb exercise weights along with the sand/salt.

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Just throw a skid of something on and be done with it. I have a skid of salt, and even when I drive like a maniac it doesn't move around, the skid also lets me take it out easily.

Cheers

Jeff

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You must have a fork lift then, right? I tell ya, a forklift could have save me lots of aggrivation around here before. :nod: Leaving the material on the skid is simpler.

8. droptine

droptine Member

If you want something smaller, find some 5 foot pieces of railroad track. 2 or 3 pieces behind the cab should be enough and save open space for other cargo. you'd be surprised at how much of that is laying around at R/R crossings, if the scrap iron boys haven't snagged it. Should probably ask for it so you don't get hauled in for theft. I asked the R/R and they said take it so they didn't have to. This was years ago and I wish I still had it.

9. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i had plastic 55 gal barrels both loaded are about 1200lbs more then enough for plowing . just me how i found out i needed when i first got my truck last winter and i couldn't plant the power LOL :D

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I"m thinking of using the dead bodies of my shovelers who seem to be "going on vacation" right when the first storm of the year is coming in.:angry:

I think that's very reasonable.

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The train track pieces is a good idea. I know where they ripped a bunch up. I just don't have the capability of cutting them down to fit sideways in the bed.

12. amars415

amars415 Member

Nice, I love the idea.. the bigger the better

13. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

We build lots of retaining walls and I use "Alan Block" or "Pavestone" blocks. The ones I use weigh 80lbs each. I needed about the same ballast weight that you do, so I just threw 12 of the blocks in the back before our first storm. :D Just as easy as that. They don't slide around that bad either unless you drive like my foreman:mad:

14. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i have a roofing company and we use bundles of shingles.

15. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

Where do you buy your pallets of salt from? Up here in pa they load us with forklifts we just remove the tailgates and they slide the pallet in to middle of wheel wells then push it in the rest of the way with a second pallet. I then break the pallet down three rows throw the loose bags between the pallet and tailgate and go to town......... 50 - 50 lbs of salt is perfect ballast your dodge 2500 can handle that no problem good luck and think snow!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. packey

packey Member

I was going to use river rock I will use it next spring in someones landscape or maybe my wife will get that raised flower bed she wants

17. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

All great ideas. If it was only a few hundred pounds of ballast I could easily find something and would have never asked, but almost a thousand is a crap load of weight. I have a bunch of cinder blocks stacked on a pallet, but I don't think they weigh all that much. Thanks guys.

18. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i have been using these for years now, easiest i have found to use, once you toss um in the bed they dont move an inch. i have found some that weigh 60 pounds a piece, and some that weigh 70 a piece, you toss like 10 of em in the truck and you got 700 pounds of ballest
    [​IMG]

19. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks Gold. I can't believe I forgot about tube sand :rolleyes:. I used that one season when I plowed in Mass. I'll take a look for them. I remember they used to split a little bit after a while. Maybe wrap them in some trash bags or something.

20. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Bingo. I do the same thing. I think they are about 4 bucks a piece. I do secure them with a 2x12 though they can be frozen missiles.