1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use for Ballast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by killed300ex, Oct 25, 2005.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

wondering what you guys use for ballast? I want to find something that i can load and unload fairly quickly and easily after each storm. I know to use about 3/4 the weight of the plow but need ideas on what to use.
  2. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

The search function.
  3. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I get sand tubes from Menards or Home Depot and visit my local tire repair shop and get blowed out tire tubes. I cut them in half and tie up one end and fill them up. Works great and will last forever.
  5. sw and me

sw and me Junior Member

A Free or Very cheap and great ballast Idea

I have a 03 2500HD with a Blizzard 810 (1000 LB ) the factory
    recommended 700 to 800 LB of ballast weight behind the rear
    axle to help cantilever the weight off of the front end. After some thought I came up with what I think is the perfect solution.

Used plow ware blades off the county road crew trucks.

Plus they were FREEEEE

They are an inch thick and about 5 inches wide so I cut them
    to length ( 64" ) to fit behind the rear axle and used a 2x4
    to keep them from moving forward and a piece of rubber belting to keep the metal away from my bed liner.

Plus they take up very little space compared to cement blocks
    and sand bags so you can still use the box without having to
    take out the sand bags. Don't get me wrong a bag of sand
    is still great to carry for extra traction if you need it.

Thanks for listening

and thanks for all the great info you all have shared.

sw and me

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

DON'T USE STEEL. unless it is bolted down to the bed of the truck. if you get in a accident someone will get killed. i would use sand tubes in a tool box or secured in something.by using sand tubes you can take them out without a need for a lift.just a though.
  7. ChEc0

ChEc0 Member

i got 2 2x4's one in front of rear fender well one behind and for ballast i got solid concrete blocks totaling 590lbs.
  8. drplow

drplow Senior Member

i find that sandbags are the best. they are east to remove and easy to add weight.
  9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have burlap feedbags filled with sand and tied off with rope. Then I have a big loop at the top. I use the skidstear to load them and put the loops around my gooseneck ball to prevent them from coming loose.

However, if you wanted to spend the money, TCS sells toolboxes that bold on behind the rear wheel well. You could fill these up with lead, sand, etc... and leave them in all winter.
  10. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

Since i have livestock. I always carry about 10 bails of hay in my bed. (each bale weighs around 80 lbs.) giving me about 800 or so lbs. in the rear. Seems to work well. Plus it has helped me on one occasion to get unstuck by spreading some for traction.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Some thing heavy,lol and placed as far back and as low as possible.
    I'm looking at some old tractor weights, You know the ones that hang off of the front ends. I'm thinking about fabricating a rack for them that fits under the bed and on eather side of the frame by the spare tire. So you can easily remove them and I won't need so many sand bags.
  12. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

:waving: sand tubes
  13. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I should move to where you are, I can't afford to give up enough hay to weigh down my truck :p

We keep all we can grow and still have to buy some.
  14. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I built a wooden box that fits between my wheelwells. I strap it don with ratchet straps so it wont move.
    THEN I fill the bopx with plastic "Pellet stove bags" with sand(Approx 80-100 each) I believe I have around 500-600 ponds.
    When I need the whole bed for hauling something big, I just lift the bags out and unstrap the box, slide that out and Im empty.
  15. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

thanks for the ideas i ended up getting some tubberware tubs and filling them with sand. I have 5 boxes with about 150 pounds each. Built a box to fit them in so they dont move in the bed works great and is very easy to get in and out. Also they are sealed so the sand isnt getting wet and when i do need some traction iv got all the sand i need.
  16. wls

wls Senior Member

I use 50# salt bags, have about 18 of them in there right now.:)
  17. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

Yeah this year was bad for hay over this way also. Most only got one cut two at best. But fortunatly i have many people to get it from if i need to.
  18. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I jsut use 50 lbs. salt bags, since I need a few anyway.
  19. The Cowboy

The Cowboy Junior Member

I just had my supplier dump 1/2 ton of sand in the EZ-Dumper. Cost 14 bucks, and i can use some if I get stuck. With a 2WD it helps alot. I plowed a bit tonight, the ol' chevy works great so far. But we got less than 3 inches, so I expected it to be easy. The real test will be in January.
  20. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

This is what I've done. I can put up to 5 patio blocks in eah box but 4 blocks in each works well. The snowblower fits between the boxes and adds another 250lbs.