1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use for Ballast ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 03GMC, Jan 5, 2004.

1. 03GMC

03GMC Junior Member
    from Canada

I know alot of you are using ballast, but what are using for a ballast ? I want to be able to remove it with some ease to put snowmobile,4 wheeler,etc in if i have to.I know we are talking a lot of weight.

Thanks fo the info..

2. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I see a lot of people with plows drive around with their snowmobile, 4-wheeler, etc. for ballast. I want to remove mine when not needed also. The best I've come up with is a plastic 50 gallon drum, cut the top 1/3 off and fill with sand. I cover it with rubber roofing and use my tractors front end loader to r&r it. It slides on snow and ice pretty easy, so if I had a platform the height of the truck bed I wouldn't need the tractor. I then take some ratchet straps over the tailgate to the hitch and some to the holdowns in the bed to secure. Then I have sand if I need it. It sticks up above the tailgate about 6".

3. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

In the past, I've taken an old steel rim & installed a second valve stem, removed the "internals" from both stems, mounted an old tire & filled the tire with water.

Just my $.02

4. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i use 8 five gallon pails filled with sand Each one wieghs about 50 pounds so thats 400 pounds i sit them right above the axcell

5. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

I use sand bags. I place them in the bed on the rear axle when I put the plow on. Otherwise they are pile next to the plow when its off.

6. JBLAWN

JBLAWN Junior Member

something we have used in the past is (don't laugh) snow, a couple of buckets is enough, it works.

7. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

home depot sells 60 lb bags of tube sand. they stack easy and
    you can easily move them when you need.

8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

The tube sand is good, however they only last about 1 year out in the weather, I just use salt now, and as I use it, replace it. Bags of salt that is.

9. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

I go the cheap route, just back up to the wood pile and throw some fire wood on. If you cover it while it's in the truck you can unload it closer to the house or put it in the wheelbarrow and take it in. If not just throw it back on the pile.:drinkup:

10. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

I use concrete pavers such as the type used for walks and patios. I line the bed of the truck with them. I like them because they are flat and I don't have any obstructions. I can still load my two snow blowers.

11. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

1 1/2 ton clean Stone dont use Sand it will freeze in to truck or a Skid of Salt.

12. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

2500lb skid of rock salt
    john

13. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

During a storm I have a pallet of #2500 of calcuim.

14. Hamptonplow

Hamptonplow Member

Tube Sand. Easy in, easy out. I keep it in the garage when the plow is off, except for a few bags in the bed all winter. Safely secured over the rear axle.

15. GPB

GPB Member

I use 10 inch fill top cement blocks. I stack 10 to 12 of these tight against the tailgate and strap them down with a ratchet strap to keep them from sliding around. Only takes a minuet to load or unload. Amazing how much better it plows with 600 or 700 pounds in the back.

16. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I use bags of salt as well. Once I use most of the pallet(which doesn't take long) I get more to keep in the truck.:waving:

17. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Wow, you guys really use a lot of ballast (weight, even)!!!

Me, I use old (i.e., discarded by the power company) utility-pole crossarms. They're 8 foot long, which is perfect, so I don't have to worry about shifting, etc. Plus, I can get 8 across in each layer, which again means no shifting, and I can put in as many layers as I want.

They only weigh about 30-35 pounds each, so I'm not getting too much weight. But, I'm a flaming cheapskate, so I don't want to hurt my gas mileage too much.

Since the truck is parked in a barn (hint: see my screen name) I don't worry about them getting wet. They're somehow treated, anywho, so it wouldn't hurt them to get wet. They leave a small space in front of and behind the wheel wells for storing or carting junk, such as a snow shovel, which is handy.

Oh, I almost forgot, these crossarms were free!!! (Did I mention I was a cheapskate???!!!) You can't beat free ballast.

18. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I go to a metal foundry and purchase a piece of steel that weighs approx. 850 lbs. for about $200.00. It just fits across the bed between the tail gate and the wheel wells. I place a rubber pad (purchased by the foot at OHS $20.00) under the steel before putting it in the truck. Even with hard impacts the steel never moves. Nothing is very level here and this amount of ballast keeps us from getting stuck. On the trucks I want to use in the summer (towing my boat etc.) I weld two rings to the steel so I can pull it out with the loader in the summer.

19. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

when my dad plowed , back in 77/ 78 he would put a 55 gal drum of water laided down and then pack the bed with fire wood to keep the drum still. I on the other hand dont seem to need any balast this year the way its been going so far...Rob

20. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

I use 2 100lb barbell plates...one behind each wheelwell. They are too damn heavy to mess with on the barbell anyway.:D