1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use for baffles????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I put my liquid system together and everything is working great. I realized there would be some sloshing and its not too bad, however, I would still like to eliminate as much as possible. My problem is the tanks I am using only have roughly an 8" opening. I thought of using softball wiffle balls but I'm afraid one of them might get sucked into the port opening and get stuck while using the set up. Any ideas or thoughts? I already looked into Baffle Balls (too big) along with several other types.

2. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Brian, look up surge buster on the internet, they have one that will fit in a smaller opening. I was thinking about buying some. The sales guy that sold me the tank said that i could pick up some 6 inch slotted sewer pipe and cut them to the longest length that i can get into the tank and that would take care of the sloshing.

3. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

cut up 2x4's the longest possible and put in tank. i put 4 in and really helped.

4. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

how big is your tank ? mine is a 525 leg tank - just regular 2x4 wood? not questioning your info but a little confused.

5. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Baffle balls

Do a search for bafle balls. They are like big wiffle balls that you put in your tank. Simple idea but looks like they woud do the trick.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

try cutting peaces of pvc pice with holes on them

7. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

We shoved as much 4" Perforated (spelled right?) drain tile into our spray tank as would fit. Cheaper than buying the baffle balls.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I was going to do that but I found 100 softball whiffle balls on ebay for like 50 bucks. Hopefully they dont get sucked against the port opening. Trying it out tonight, my tank is a little less than half full. How did your way work?

9. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

SnowMatt, did the perforated tile work?

10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Brian
    How did that work out using the softballs? I need to do something and was thinking about the whiffle ball idea myself. Also was 50 of them enough? I have a 325 gallon tank and thought I would buy 100 of the softball size wiffle balls.

Thanks Mike

11. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, reduced sloshing around a lot. Obviously it still moves and you can feel it move, but by far better with nothing in the tank.....

12. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi SnowMatt
    Did you also use wiffle Balls? Also what size tank do you have and how many balls did you use?

Thanks Mike