1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to supplement with Timbrens?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevy2003, Feb 20, 2014.

1. chevy2003

chevy2003 Junior Member
    from indiana

I have scanned thru almost every forum looking for my answer but found none, so I signed up to ask.....I have a 2003 Silverado Z71 ext. cab 5.3L and put on a Western Proplow 7.5' last year and also added some Timbrens front and back with ballast weight. Timbren says on front they should always be in contact with axle which is great with plow on but VERY rough without plow. I added new Bilstein HD shocks on front with no change in ride quality, had all front suspension checked by my mechanic: all is good. What can I add to help the ride with plow off as I love the timbrens with plow on?

I am thinking removing front Timbrens in spring/summer and add factory bump stops...??

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had them in every truck I've had and don't think they've made contact unless the plow is on and up in the air.

These are all 3/4 and one tons. Maybe 1/2 tons are different.

3. trevier

trevier Senior Member

I'm in the process of doing this on my half ton 1500 ext cab 1500. I'm going with the leveling kit instead of the timbrens. The leveling kit will give you an extra 2.5 inches of lift without killing the smooth ride. I might do new shocks also only because my truck had 116k on it, I have a boss 7.5 trip edge on my truck, way to much bottoming out this year, I"ve had it.

4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Is my truck secretly a 3/4 ton or something? I have a 2006 Sierra 1500 EC/SB with a Fisher 7'6'' HD and its never bottomed out on me. I was considering Timbrens but I don't think they'd affect it.

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I have been using timbrens for some time now. Im not sure on the pick ups, but in my Tahoe, they just "pop" in and out (no nuts or bolts, like the ones I had in my Jimmy) and I can have them out in less than 5 minutes and the stock ones back in. Mine too make contact with the lower control arm all the time with out the plow on, but it barely touches. I dont remove them in the summer because the truck doesn't get used much other than towing our camper. If it were a daily driver, they would most likely be swapped in the spring and fall

6. chevy2003

chevy2003 Junior Member
    from indiana

What does the leveling kit involve? I wouldnt want my truck raised too much as I just dont like the way it looks, although the timbrens did raise it about an inch when installed...I dont know, I have 1 1/2" on engine side and 2 1/2" on tire side when timbrens are removed as I am thinking the previous owner cranked up the torsion bars already. I say that because I was going to crank them up more to get a gap between timbrens and axle in order to keep it from having the "bottoming out" feel. Timbren support sent me smaller Timbrens but the truck drops too much for my liking when lifting plow. Other options mentioned in other forums include air bags, but I have already spent $200 on timbrens and want to try to use them instead of blowing another $200+. Thanks for all the replies!

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Is it a boulevard cruiser or a work truck?

8. chevy2003

chevy2003 Junior Member
    from indiana

Its a truck that drives over small bumps that feel like its a log truck throwing me around the cab. Its a truck that hits a small bump which sounds like a 12 guage shotgun going off.

9. trevier

trevier Senior Member

anyone know where to order a leveling kit online? The price I got from a shop yesterday was around 230$ for a kit. Just found one online from amazon for around 120$, had good reviews from it also.

10. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

a leveling kit is basically aftermarket keys the pre load the torsion bars.
    just turn the factory keys and you will be fine ok

11. chevy2003

chevy2003 Junior Member
    from indiana

I guess I am leaning towards removing them during spring/summer, and re-installing them in the late fall.....is it necessary to buy temporary factory bump stops when timbrens are out? If so which ones? there are so many different styles/kinds....someone mentioned just putting nothing in during spring/summer...

12. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Put them in in the beginning December and take them out in the end of April and enjoy that nice GM ride again all spring, summer and fall, it's very easy to do and well worth it. you have to put the factory bump stops back in, hoped you saved them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  13. chevy2003

chevy2003 Junior Member
    from indiana

Ha! when I first put the timbrens on first time to replace bump stops, the original bump stops were crumbly, falling apart and one even fell apart as I took it off, so they were junk anyway. OK I will have to find some factory bump stops then. Thanks!

14. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

my 1500 rides great with them plow on or off. They never touch the control arms

15. chevy2003

chevy2003 Junior Member
    from indiana

xgiovannix12, what year is your chevy? does it have z71 suspension? or maybe not much difference,,,i dont know. I have the Timbrens gmfk15, which are specifically for my truck(on the front), and Timbren support guy say they are supposed to be in contact at all times......?? What part number do u have on front of your truck?

16. xgiovannix12

Nope thats not the kit. But Im sure the front suspension is almost the same.

17. chevy2003

chevy2003 Junior Member
    from indiana

What year is your truck? Does the front end drop at all when u lift the plow? Can u give me the year of your truck so I can look up at Timbren website and c what part # u have? Timbren sent me gmfk25 and gmfk15aws for me to try out but the gmfk15aws are smaller and 1000# rated, but drops the front end a good inch when lifting plow. The gmfk15 (which are specified for my trucks front end) rest on axle all the time and are pretty stiff.

18. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

I have had them in a 2004 Silverado 1500 and a 2006 Silverado 1500 and they contact the lower control arms at all times and also have a severe effect on the ride, they are not as noticeable in the 2500 or 3500 trucks, I leave them in those trucks year round.

19. xgiovannix12

I have an 92 I think its gmk35f or something like that.

20. C-RAY PLOW

C-RAY PLOW Junior Member
    from Maine

I'd take them out the only time I have seen them touch was in a 96 150 with the split axle or what ever it's called I had them on a 2010 1500 and just put a set on a 2010 2500 they do not touch