1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to put on my 2005 1500 sierra

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by shelvie, Oct 16, 2010.

1. shelvie

shelvie Junior Member
    from NJ

Hey guys not new to plowing, and trying to figure what I should put on my new(used) truck.

got an 2005 GMC sierra 1500. I been plowing for a company for about 8 years and decided to go out and do some stuff on my own. I know I should have gotten a bigger truck , but this is good to start and will be used as a daily driver. Couldnt be driving around in a 3500 for my daily driver.

Anyway I know all major brands sell a 1/2 ton series plow. but I really wanted to put a V plow on. what are your guys thoughts.. think will kill my truck?

And i really like the fisher minute mount setups. any thoughts or suggestions?

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The only V I recomend for your truck is the new Meyer 7.5' V specificaly desined for 1/2 ton trucks. Or you can "beef up" your front suspension and put a 7.5' Fisher Xtreme V on it.
  3. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

If you are doing driveways, get a hiniker C plow. If you are doing mostly small business lots, get a snowdogg md75; mine works very well and was easy on the wallet. I love the stainless board too. I wish I would have gotten the C plow though. It looks very useful.
  4. nbannan

nbannan Member

Look at Vehicle Axel capacity

The C plow looks great but at 800lbs I am thinking maybe too heavy.
    I have a 1500 but it is newer '08 Silverado so maybe less capacity as GM lightens the truck for better milage. I wanted a 2500 as well but did a cash for cluncker from an old E20 van. Since you had to improve milage I had to move to a 1500.
    I have a Fisher HT that I am pleased with but I am not out plowing lots etc.
    I do several driveways so fairly light duty work in my case. I know once I add the correct Ballast to the truck (450 lbs for the 414 lbs HT Blade) I am within a few hundred pounds of Max Axel capacity recommended by GM. I am not sure but anything over about 750 would lead to premature axel wear and possibly other problems. I know without the ballast, even the 414 LB HT hanging off the front of my 1500 makes me feels like I could do a front end wheelie.
    That C-blade is a really cool looking blade though (check out the video on their website) and good luck on choosing!
  5. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Go for a 7.5 Fisher SD, HT, or HD. If not do a Boss standard duty.
  6. theisster

theisster Junior Member
    from 55364

Ive been running chevy 1500 for years with a hiniker 8" straight blade. love my jeep w/ 7" snow way much better for the majority of my residental drives. I would never put a v blade on a 1/2 ton. also unless your doing mostly comercial or rulal long drifted over driveways there is no need.
    I would NOT buy a hiniker again! poor back draig poor spring trip system, bad elec,
    I like Snow way & Western.
  7. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

My personal every day driver is a 1500 Silverado, you can't beat the ride, they don't take much weight well, front or rear will drop, anyways if it's 4WD here it's got a plow, I had a backup MM2 8ft HD that I used for one winter. cranked torsion bars and added Timbrens, then came across a nice MM2 71/2 foot RD or HD (I forget which it's called but definately not LD) and tried that, truck carried it much nicer, I don't do a lot of commercial plowing with this truck, but I do family driveways and customer driveways that I am near. In the spring the torsion bars are cranked down and the stock bump stops go back in and the nice ride is back. It beats driving those 3500's year round, I quess that's why have a high mileage 1500 and low mileage 3500's. PS I am not sold on Fisher's HT series, looks like a glorified Homesteader to me.
  8. mercer_me

That's basicaly what the Fisher dealer toled me.
  9. shelvie

shelvie Junior Member
    from NJ

I got a 7.5' HD series plow. I have a Short Bed Reg Cab. Fischer Dealer said truck should handle with no problem
  10. mercer_me

Congrats on the new plow. That's the best Fisher for your truck IMO.