1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to put a plow on?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by loomis, Aug 23, 2003.

1. loomis

loomis Junior Member

Im new to plowsite.com, and i was wondering which one of my vehicles i should put a plow on for the upcoming winter. Unlike some people on this site my age, i do own these vehicles, and im just looking for advice. I have a 1988 K5 Blazer which is stock and has 97500 miles on it, it has a 350 and a rebuilt auto tranny. I also have a 1993 chevy 1500 4x4, it has an auto, 305 w/ 17000 miles on it, 130000 on the rest of the truck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I would go with the pickup just for the fact that you will have greater flexibility with that setup. If you need weight in the back or decide to offer de-icing then the pickup is easier to deal with.

BTW welcome to plowsite :waving: .

3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

Both trucks are strong enough for plowing. I think the pick-up would be a better plow truck because you would be able to get a sand/salt spreader for it if you ever needed it. The pick-up is a little newer than the blazer and has less miles on it so it'll take a little more abuse.

4. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Go with the pickup!! throw a 7.5 foot plow of your choice on and enjoy:D You may also want to throw a Set of timbren load booster on as well to beef up the front end, and crank up the torsion bars too. BTW Welcome to Plowsite:waving:

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Either one would work for plowing.The K5 would be better suited to small tight lots,or residential.It would also carry the plow better with the solid front axle.Rear windows fog up and it can be a pain to see sometimes.

The pickup wouldn't have as tight a turning radius,but the pickup also has the bed for carrying stuff,and is easier to see out the back.

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Either one could take a plow, but me personally, Id much rather plow with a pick up truck. A 7.5' plow would be the right size for either truck. Mike

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have a plow on my 4Runner, as a backup, and can't imagine plowing a lot with it. It has no problems pushing and is actually very comfortable but visibility in a storm is poor. I have plowed some with it and was much slower maneuvering. Go with the pickup.

An added factor is that if you were to back into something the damage to a pickup bed would IMO be much less a concern then to a SUV body.

8. loomis

loomis Junior Member

thanks for everyones help, does anybody have a brand in mind that would work the best w/ the pickup?
    thanks

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Go with a local dealer. If you are in an area that does not get a lot of snow, you may be better off with a lighter plow such as a Meyer or Snoway. Save the fron end of your truck.

Having a dealer close by will help when you break something and need to get it repaired fast.

10. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I agree with above. If you are going to use the pick up, get a lighter plow such as a meyer, It will save some $$$ while you a re trying to make some $$$. Good luck. My 2 cents, I would set up the blazer to plow with, and use the pick up to salt with, again only my 2 cents

Rick

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Blazer with a Snoway makes for a very nice combination for tight stuff,driveways,and loading docks.The Downpressure system is excellent for backdragging and scraping.

Here's one of mine.

jimmy.jpg

12. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Go with 7.5. A lighter snowplow would work better and would be a lot better on your front end. Sno-way would be a great choice. You may also want to look at western. I know 2 people with 7.5 western unimounts on chevy 1500's and say that the plow works great on the truck. Meyer would also be a fine plow for the truck.:rolleyes:

Good luck!:waving:

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

If going with a Snoway,you can run a bigger plow,as they lighter than most.Our full size Jimmy\Blazers use 8.5 ft Snoways.