1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to price this for plowing and salting

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by nicktw25, Dec 1, 2015.

1. nicktw25

nicktw25 Member
    from Woods

What would you charge for this office building? They want a per push and per salt price. Looks like it measures to 1.2 acres. Trying to see if my pricing lines up.

office aqua.png

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Tell us your prices first and the equipment to be used. Thats how it goes normally if you want an answer.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The property might be 1.2 acres with grass and building but not the parking.

4. nicktw25

nicktw25 Member
    from Woods

I estimated I would be using 800 pounds of salt for the lot. So I came in around $195 per salt application. For plowing, I came in at $145 per push plus $55 for shoveling front sidewalk only.

Using a 06 Dodge 2500 with Western wideout and Western 2500 salt spreader.

5. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, I don't think it can be that big unless it includes the building and some of the grass.

6. nicktw25

nicktw25 Member
    from Woods

Glad you caught that, I must of jacked something up on Findlotsize.com My new measurement for the lot is .632 acres. So would $120 be more in the ballpark for salting?

7. RandallJ

RandallJ Member

about the size of my paved lot 17000-20000sq ft and that is about what they were charging me..
    Setback on the building from the street should be right around 150' for some kind of size reference

8. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

$400 per push with salt and walks on that lot??? That's extremely high around here.

9. nicktw25

nicktw25 Member
    from Woods

I revised the salt quote to $120.

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

To be clear I am not a fan of breaking out the walks and lots separately, it invites your customer to "save" by getting someone else to do the manual work.... As much as I hate the walk work, I hate it more when I don't have control of it and it ends up in spaces I cleared causing me more work/money.

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

A cord of seasoned hardwood. :dizzy:

12. Mark Oomkes

That's a 15 minute plow job on a 1-4" snowfall.

Good for you if you can get between $500-600 per hour.

13. nicktw25

nicktw25 Member
    from Woods

Not sure if you read that I miss-measured the lot. Took the salt price down to $120. And I was charging an hour minimum for the plowing. Will it take an hour to complete? Of course not. Am I in the wrong for trying to be on the safe side?

Also, I'm located in Indiana if it's bothering you that much. Thanks for the help Mark!

14. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Bidding help

Take the guesswork out of your bidding. PUT OUR 36 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE TO WORK FOR YOU!

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package $129.95
    AND INCLUDES:
    #1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials both liquid and granular per 1,000 sq.ft., per acre, and lane mile.
    #2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of over 30 templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and you can customize them to your business.
    #3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.
    Check it out at www.profitsareus.com home page and click on the snow link. IT'S AN INSTANT DOWNLOAD.

15. Mark Oomkes

It doesn't bother me, but giving a location is extremely helpful. Prices in Jersey are probably close to 10x what they are in Erie. So it makes a difference.

If you can get an hour minimum, good for you. Not happening in my world.

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Just off the top of my head I was thinking $100 to plow lot and $80 to salt. The walk looks like it will be buried with street snow every time the municipals blow through plowing the streets. Tough call on that, but for me I would charge $100. The walk will be a PITA.

17. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

15 minute plow? I know you're good but I think you might be being a little optimistic.

I was thinking 275-300 for everything. Plow salt shovel. And most of these people are from Michigan, I think they have the cheapest plowing prices in the nation, with buffalo area being pretty close.

18. nicktw25

nicktw25 Member
    from Woods

I don't have to do the walk along the road way, just along the front of the building. I was thinking 15 minutes was a little quick as well... I appreciate the feedback!

19. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

My prices would be
    $150 2-4"
    $200 4-6"
    $275 6-8"
    $350 8+

$215 for salt
    $55 bucks to drive my Walker across the walks

One thing that wasn't stated that is important to me on this building is the loading bays. Do they need to be back dragged ? I know from experience those drift in good and can take longer to do than the whole lot.

20. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Maybe that's not a dock. Just looked at the picture again