1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to pay????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MnM, Mar 4, 2006.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

i have a guy who has a 1998 ram v10 and wants to plow. I was going to buy an 810 and put it on his truck. He would cover his vehicle insurance and gas and the plow would be forever mine. What is a fair price to pay this guy??? I was figuring around 50 an hour

2. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

is he insuring the truck with comm vehicle, or is he just relying on his regular insurance? Are you putting him on your general liability policy? Do you or will you have a written agreement about the plow ownership? What if the plow is damaged, destroyed or stolen, who pays? Is it on his vehicle policy, or do you need a rider on yours? Employee or sub-contractor? IMO, your equipment (plow), he's an employee, even if it his truck, or does he lease the plow from you?

Just a few things to consider.

3. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Why?

Why would you do this? Why do you need a partner based on your investment in a plow for his vehicle? This is a recipe for disaster. You would be better off buying a used truck and hire a driver than to put an expensive piece of machinery on somebody else's truck that you can't even get a lien on in the event he sells the truck or gets behind on his truck payments and the repo man comes out to pick up the truck.

If you don't want to buy another truck just resign yourself to pay a bit more and hire a sub with a truck and his own plow rather than fronting the expense of a plow for somebody else.

But if not, be prepared for late showing, no showing and being back-doored on your jobs, because I can tell you that is where this deal is headed.
    What are you going to do if it doesn't work out, fire him? Then how do you get your equipment back? Think about this before you shoot yourself in the foot.

4. all seasons

all seasons Member

free plows

hey if your giving away plows give me a ring:waving:

5. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

is he your father brother or uncle??

bad idea.....

even if you trust him its still a bad idea

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I know of a pair who did this. X had the truck, Y bought the plow, they split a tail gate salter. X got a divorce and could not reach a property settlement with x wife. Judge said sell it all and split the money. X sold everything including truck, plow and salter. x wife took her 1/2, X took his half and moved to sunnier climate. Y still curses his name. Y is now getting calls from X's x wife claiming she owns 25% of the contracts they shared, claims the courts order X to sell EVERYTHING of value and is threating to file suit. She and her lawyer have figured what they consider the possible income on the contracts based on average snow falls and want 25% of the gross potential income.
    This is not urban legend, I'm the only one who benefited from the whole deal. I sold the original set-up to them (7.5 pro plow w/pro-wings and a snow ex 1875)and the replacement set up Y needed to do the contracts (8.5 Snoway and a vee pro 8000.)

Sure you want to risk getting caught up in something like this.

7. MnM

MnM Senior Member

he has been a employee for 5 years now so i DONT THINK HE IS GOING ANYWHERE AND IF HE DID I WOULD GET THE PLOW BACK. MY ACCOUNTS WOULDNT EVEN TALK TO HIM ABOUT SNOW REMOVAL SO I KNOW HE WONT BACK STAB ME. THIS ASIDE WHAT IS A FAIR RATE OF PAY???

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would think the most a plow would cost me is $10/hour. If you take this off your normal hourly rate then that would be fair. Being able to put a plow on his truck has alreaky allowed you to make a profit from him. You might want to think about buying the plow for him and let him work it off. So much per hour. He might treat it a little better. What is going to happen if he wants a different truck and now you need a new mount and wiring, who would pay for that.

9. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

blizzard 810 in staten island

MnM
    In regards to your situation.. Check your pm I just sent you one..
    Thanks Jack

10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I would buy the plow, pay him full sub rate and finance the plow for him over like 3 years.

Sign a contract and if he quits after a year he has to buy out the rest of the plow.

I know a guy who does this with trucks. His employees can finance a work truck through him. They pay him the truck payment and he pays them normal wages for a sub. If they quit, they can still pay him or buy out the truck. He has a lean on the vehicle.

This way he gets a truck, and a happy employee

11. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

What would you pay him if he had his own plow? If it's 60 or more then the 50 is good. Odd that this type of deal comes up. Can he not afford the plow on his own?