1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to look out for

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frostysnow, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

Im going to look at a 1995 dodge plow truck this thursday and i am makin up a list of stuff to check for on the truck and was hopeing u experts could help me out. It is a 95 dodge ram 2500 5.9 v8 with 106,000 miles It has a western plow and a v-box sander. The truck just got new breaks and has a new transmission, front end rebuild, and new transfer case. There is also an extra set of helper springs to help with the salter. So far here is what i have to check:
    1. Tire Wear/ tire life
    2. Plow hydraulics
    3. Front suspension
    4. Rust damage
    5. ?
    6. ?

JPMAKO Senior Member

Check for leaks from oil pan, transmission, transfer case and axles.
    Test drive and make sure it shifts okay, and that the four wheel drive is operational. look around engine bay and inspect for visible leaks.
    make sure the sander is working (Inspect chain, Clutch, etc...)
    Plow either works or it does'nt I would look for cracks in the frame and leaks by the pistons.

Hope this helps,

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

With that much repair done to the truck already, I hope the price is right. Sounds like it has been ridden hard. Don't forget the exhaust. Plowing is hard on the exhaust as well. Manifold leaks aren't cheap to have repaired. Some require new manifolds which can be expensive. It is a labor intensive job too. Find out who performed the repairs. If it were a qualified shop, he should have some receipts to back it. If it were his brother-in-law or nephew in auto shop class, I would be real hesitant. Just be careful, I hate to hear of someone getting ripped off. Good luck!
  4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Check the fuel and brake lines for excessive rust/rot
  5. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

check to see if they have a chevy or ford sitting around instead;)
  6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

You're going to need to change all your universals, also. We recommnd that you go with Brute Force. They are well worth the money. Your front driveshaft will need rebuilding too, if it hasn't been done in a few years. If you do it yourself, it is about 70 bucks, I think. If you buy one all rebuilt, it's about 300. Test out the spreader, and make dure it's working as well. It may need a new chain shaft, or spinner or something.
  7. nekos

nekos Senior Member

never EVER buy a used truck or car with out taking it to a mechanic to have it looked at !
    to make a long story short ... i almost bought a truck that was unfit to be on the road much less for sale in a new car dealership !
    it needed well over $8,000 worth of work just to make it safe to drive !

the $50 - $75 you spend / waste to have your mechanic tell you it's a vehicle in good working condition could save you $1000's !!!

other then that ... im not a mechanic and never will be !!! others will probably be able to help ya know what to watch out for better then i :)
  8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Make sure that the transmission REALLY has been replaced. Go through every gear that it has. Those transmissions can be a problem. You should take it to a mechanic, especially with all thw rok that has been done on it. I test drove a '96 2500. I loved the truck it was absolutely perfect except for a little high miles and a little high price. I was about ready to bring it to my mechanic and put a refundable (thank God!) on it until I tried to back it up into a parking sport and found out that the trasmisson did not have ANY rear gear:help: . No wonder the parking lot was set up and it was parked so that you did not need to back the thing up. Not what you expect from a "reputable used car" dealer! Good luck!
  9. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I've heard of a lot of rear diff problems. Check the headlight wiring. I know of several that burnt the wiring harness trying to run the plow lights(or trailer lights).I bet the A/C doesn't work, Dodge was terrible with freon leaking out.
    Former Dodge owner.