1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to look for

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm thinking about buying a Jeep with an old Meyers 6.5 on it. I know absolutely nothing about Meyers, never owned one before. Just wondering if there is anything I need to know to look out for when I go to look at it. Any common problems that I'd need to possibly repair/replace before putting it to work? It would be primarily my cleanup rig, but I have a driveway or two that are miserable for my big truck to do. So it wouldn't be doing a ton of plowing (especially this year), but it would need to be fairly reliable.
    I don't know what year the plow is, but the Jeep is an 86 and the plow looks pretty old, it has the old round lights. It is power angle at least.
    Thanks for the input.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Two biggest problem point's on the older Meyer blade's are the center pivot bolt (check the bolt and the bolt hole) If left unfixed the bolt will push right out through the nose plate.The other thing is the blade pivot pin's and pivot tube's.They either wear out or the pins rust in the tube's and the blade won't trip when it needs too,and if it does trip with the pin's froze up they usually twist the pins right off.Other than that, there no different than any other brand of blade when checking one for problem's.

3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

And dont forget to check the frame on the jeep it self. Pay attention to the back half of the frame.

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Ain't that the truth. I've looked at quite a few, and almost all of them are rotted back there. If they aren't then they are out of my price range.
    Thanks for the help!