1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to look for?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WOODY367, Apr 6, 2006.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I am still looking for a newer truck. I can't afford the newer Ford like I wanted .3. What should I look for and what so I am looking at 96-97 Fords. I am going to look at a F350 with the 7.3 diesel. What should I look out for in the truck and what to look for in a diesel as this is the first diesel I am planning on buying. Thank
  2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Check the oil pan. The only down side to a 7.3 is their oil pans can and will rot real bad. $2400 job to replace it. Since you have to yank the motor to replace the pan.
  3. Kevin003

Kevin003 Junior Member

I got quoted 1100$ to do the oil pan on my 93 F350. Guy said it was a real pain in the ass and he should of charged more :D Anyways moral of the story is check the oil pans. You lookin for auto or manual? Id go for the manual as there are way to many horror stories with the devil E4OD trans that ford makes.
  4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I am looking at a auto trans. There will be others that use the truck that can't drive stick. The pan I didn't know about thatks. Anything else?
  5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

check that the truck had all regular service performed. check the air filter, if its real dirty there is a possibly that some dirt got by, which is real bad for the turbo.
    above all get the truck checked from one end to the other by a good shop.
  6. Adair350

Adair350 Member

If you buy a truck without a plow try to find out if it has a plow package otherwise it may be difficult to get the right harnesses to install a plow. also I would make sure the truck has 3.73 Axe gears that will lessen the stress on the tranny when pulling and plowing, a friend of mine has one with 3.55 gears and it is lazy compared to mine, If the tranny becomes a concern install a tranny temp guage have the it flushed regularly and if you really start pushing hard just put it down in low range. otherwise I think you will love it it is a power house.wesport
  7. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Also have the front ends checked ! the 99-03 S/D eat up ball joints--if buying from P/Party you may get stuck with the repair bill. Ditto to the oil pans! also if auto like you said install a large tranny cooler and temp gauge like suggested. Also check to make sure that the pumkins on the axles arn't leaking--rear seals seem to go on ones that were used for a lot of towing!
  8. J29

J29 Senior Member

Like everyone else said, check that oil pan. Beacoup dollars to fix. Had mine go three months before the warranty was up, thankfully for me. I would definitely stay away from the 3.55 rear end. Not enough power if you want to plow. That leaves you with the 4.10s. Not great on gas, but plenty of power. It wasnt until 99 and up you could get the 3.73s. Also, watch out for the E4OD auto tranny. Put as big a cooler on it as you can find and keep up with the maintainance. I love that body style though, I still say it was the best yet. I had a 97 350 PS for four months until someone else decided they wanted it more than me.
  9. PAplowman

PAplowman Member

The plow package in the model years he's looking at,(96-97), consisted of heavy duty cooling, and heavier springs. The wiring harness isn't different at all. 3.73 gears were not available in these years either. The choices consisted of either 4.10, or 3.55, and thats it!
  10. zapster

zapster Member

i have 65k on a '99 7.3 P.S.D. duallie dump 4X4 and have had no ball joint issues whatsoever:nono:
    but the pan was replaced in 04 payup
  11. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Well guys thanks for the help. But the 96 F350 PSD I was looking at fell through. Now I am on the hunt for another one. Its hard finding a nice clean 96-97 XLT PSD with under 100k. Maybe I am being picky with color, mileage and so on but I was the origanal owner of my 81 F250. I plan on keeping this one just as long so I want what I want. If I could find one without ever having a plow thats what I want. Well I will keep you posted. Thanks