1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to look for

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by WOODY367, Feb 18, 2016.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I am looking to pick up a Xtreme-V and was wondering if there is anything out of the norm to look for in the V plow? I have a MM2 HD now.

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure fluid was changed every season,
    Look for even wear on the cutting edge, uneven wear could be a bad wing or A frame.
    Look at the aframe, make sure it's not bent.
    Make sure connections aren't corroded.

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Center rod doesn't have play
    Also lift it up and make sure they didn't wear it to far down before they put a cutting edge on
    Seen many bent ones I'd almost rather go new
    The pistons are like $250
    Unless you are getting a great deal go new

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Hell i screwed my cutting edge in 2 months last year. Changed it before it needed to but a new edge can make any plow look better

5. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I looked at a few this past weekend most where beat up one was pretty nice but was to much$. I do not need it right now but am looking. As long as I find one before next season I will be happy. May be a few will come up after this season is over. I would love new but can not justifie spending that much for new. I also just need the off truck side. Would like Stainlrss over mild but would take either if its nice enough.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just like anything used, your taking a chance even if it's had regular service. There's not a whole lot that go wrong on these plows any more that is catastrophic so as long as nothing is abused and you get it for the right price your good. I'm probably selling off one of our Fisher ss xv's this spring, it's an 06 but other than the outer springs being rusty it looks and operates like new (we soak it in FF every year and store it in doors) but we over service everything (we had a tiny weather crack in one of the outer line coverings and replaced it, thats just what I do). We've replaced a few other things on it but all just basic maintenance stuff. I was told the plow with a new cutting edge is worth 4300.00-4500.00 with truck mounts if your interested.