1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to look for

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EmeraldMeadows, Nov 19, 2014.

1. EmeraldMeadows

EmeraldMeadows Junior Member

Hey guys! After 5 years working for someone I am looking for my own contracts this year so I am looking for my first plow. I dont have alot to work with so I know im not going to get quality equipment but I have about 2k for a used plow. Is there anything I need to definitely stay away from? I have a 98 chevy 1500 z71 not going to be doing any thing crazy with it either. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

It's already Nov. 19th. If you don't have any contracts or even a plow yet, I wouldn't even bother trying it on my own this year if I were you. You're way late in the game to be trying to get off the ground. Sub for someone this year if you're able to find a plow and start looking for new contracts next June. You're not going to find a lot for 2K. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's true. You're just WAY late.

3. EmeraldMeadows

I understand all of that. Maybe I should be more clear. I want a plow if I get a ckntract by chance over the winter. I will mainly be subbing for the guy I have worked for as well as others when we get big storms. I know im not going to get much for 2k thats why I was asking for things to stay away from. I am good at finding deals just want to know what deals to look for.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

About all I can suggest is looking on Craig's List ads. I don't have anything negative to say about any of the manufacturers specifically. I'd just make sure that whatever you find you personally see working on someone else's truck before laying out your hard earned cash.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I know im not going to get much for 2k thats why I was asking for things to stay away from.

Then wait and save more and get a better one

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Stay away from conventional mounts. Buy something decent enough that looks ok. Western Unimounts are cheap enough.

7. EmeraldMeadows

8. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I don't think that is a unimount, looks like an old conventional mount to me. $2000 is pretty steep.

9. sameoldthang

sameoldthang Member

HarleyJeff is right everything is already contracted out. You might get lucky and get people shopping for a deal for their benefit not you on a contract. I would really save your money for a nice set-up for next year. FYI, the above deal is lipstick on a pig I would pass.

10. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I have to agree with this. I'd save my money, and buy a different truck. Honestly I've had great luck with buying trucks with plows on them already. Last year I bought a 97 F350 diesel with a 8.5 western Unimount MVP, front end all redone before I got it for 3k. Put a new thermostat in and flushed the coolant, oil change and good to go.

A half ton can do it, but it will be hard on it. You say your good at finding deals, well then you know the worst thing you can do is jump on something. Just wait, and look, save your money.

11. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Wait till spring and spend a little more. I Bought a 2 year old 8'2" BOSS V for $3500 last spring.

12. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

If your going to just be doing driveways then your truck is fine, just don't go and put a 8 foot v-plow on it.

As for the plow, lighter it is the better for your truck.
    Are you going to be servicing it yourself?
    If not find a dealer that is near you and get that type of plow brand.

Every plow has it's pro's and con's, but do not get the cheapo home you know what plow.

Stick with a name brand plow and don't buy the home owners special.

one last thing, don't worry about the date, there will always be those who wait till the last minute to sign up. granted it will not be as many but you should be able to pick up a few and look to sub out with another company to get your feet wet.

good luck

13. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

I would try to find a BOSS 7-6" blade for that truck myself. I may be one sided on the brand but check with a local dealer as he may have a lead on a used one that someone is trading in. Or ma have gotten one in on trade. Either way DO NOT go with an old conventional mount. You will regret it down the road. Either find a BOSS or a Western Unimount or Ultra mount. Go as far as checking 250 to 300 miles away and drive to buy it on craigslist if you really want to stay in your budget.

14. EmeraldMeadows

Thanks for all the help. I called a local dealer and can get a snow way poly blade for 4400. Poly blades are lighter correct?
    I am going to check with the boss dealer today about possibly getting a trade in. Does boss make and lighter blades that would be good for my truck? If I can finance a blade and payit off over winter I feel I would be worth it.

15. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

16. EmeraldMeadows

Just found this. Any thoughtshttp://indianapolis.craigslist.org/hvo/4768809968.html