1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to look for ??????????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sbn, May 24, 2003.

1. sbn

sbn Junior Member

im going to be buying a used 1ton dump 4x4 soon.this truck will serve as my lawncare/plow truck.how can i weed out the lemons? what sort of thing should i look for?please be specific.thank you for time and energy
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite sbn :waving:

I'd try to look for something with a solid front axle,like a Ford,or a Dodge,and a diesel engine.

You can look for obvious signs a truck had been used and abused before you even consider buying.Tire wear patterns,excessive wear on gas and brake pedals,seat wear,oil leaks,exhaust smoke,may all be signs of something you want to avoid.

Whatever you buy,take it to a respected mechanic,and have it checked over before you buy it.They will know what to look for,so you don't end up buying a lemon.

Another option is to pick up an older truck which has some problems,for a good price,and then spend some money rebuilding it.At least then you know everything will be in good shape,as most of the stuff will be new.
  3. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

How much $ are you going to spend?
  4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

check the fuel tanks. Inspect the lift cylinder on the bed. Check for cracks in the frame.

5. sbn

sbn Junior Member

im probably going to spend btwn.8k-9k.im not looking for brand new 90 to 95 year range