1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to look for when viewing the weather forcast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hawkc01, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Hawkc01

Hawkc01 Member

I'm not an educated person when it comes to understanding how weather works. When you are looking at the current conditions, what are the identifiers that you are looking for. For example, barometric pressure...at what point indicates precipitation and so on.

2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Watch several of the local television stations. You'll get a feel for their forecast models. Usually there is an aggressive, a conservative, and a middle of the road forecast. The nasty weather service releases new forecasts every four hours.

In MN, you will need to watch for low pressure systems and cold fronts that ride the jet stream. There is usually a band of snoow about 150 miles wide that tracks north of the low.

Start watching now, paying attention to the western states and you'll begin to get the feel for this.

When it is getting close, watch the local NWS website/radar which is more powerful than the TV stations.

DTN Kavouras now known as Meteorlogix lives in your area and they tend to have the best, though not the only forecasts.
  3. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

i like watching radar because they probably can't lie about that
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'm sure they'll find a way!! :nod:
  5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I look at how tightly packed the isobars are together. the closer they are together the more wind you will have.