1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to look for when plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alpine692003, Jan 25, 2005.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 Senior Member

Hey guys,

What's the basic features to look for when you guys plow? Some tips for newbies?

ie) should the blade be 2mm off the ground or touch the ground when plowing driving lots?

Should you spray the snowplow with some lubricant so the snow doesnt stick?

etc..

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

To answer those two questions. the closer the blade is to the ground the more snow you are going to clear, and that is the whole point. Generally you will always get some sort of snow sticking to the blade. If it is more that usual or you are expecting a wet storm, than you may want to pretreat the blade with something. Do a search, there was just a thread on that and it go a lot of responses.

3. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Blade down all the way....Grindind the pavement ( if you cant hear it, then its not down all the way ) "sparks" flying....snow flying off 1 side 30' or more !!!! Hey...look at me, Im a BIG snow blower.... get over next to the curb & grind that edge of your blade down to a nice rounded edge ( and I mean curb...curb 2 curb is ,,,, curb to curb ).. Noise?? yes, its going to make some loud noise...what ? you think your going to wake the neighborhood ?? Oh ya.....

If you thought for 1 second that plowing is as quiet as the snow that falls from the sky.....

I fell good !!! ( sing it guys )

I NEED A VACATION :nod:

4. alpine692003

alpine692003 Senior Member

LOL ... Man you are hilarious, try using the shovels and turn that backwards and scrape the snow for 8hrs..

I did that and the cops came and told us to stop :nono: :nono:

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Throw the shoes away and put the blade on the ground- any snow you leave behind is only going to cost you traction.

As to pre treating your blade- waste of time they all wear off long before you hope they will (usually 1 driveway)- if your worried about sticking snow get a poly blade shield.