1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to look for when buying a used plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by polvoson, Jun 26, 2009.

1. polvoson

polvoson Junior Member

Hey guys
    I am looking at a few used plows and would like to ask for some advice as to what to look out for?
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of a trip edge vs a trip blade, wear points loose parts?

Thanks

Paul

2. ATV Plow King

ATV Plow King Senior Member

I myself like the full trip b/c then if you it something taller then the edge your still good.

check out the pump and cylinders and make sure theres no fluid leaking out.
    Make sure the springs arent rusted through.
    Make sure the frame for the truck and the plow A frame arent bent.
    make sure all the parts are there...Nuts/bolts,wires,controller.ect.

Other then that your solid.

3. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Maintence records. Or at a minimum a knowledgebale owner and signs of maintence, such as parts of different ages, and levels of wear.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Mounting system! Many of the manufacturers have been changing mounting systems and have ceased to support the older systems for the newer trucks. the wrong plow could be incredibly expensive to install or even not possible with out custom fab or major modification. These changes are not limited to black iron there could be electrical issues as well.

5. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

I would say by just looking for unnormal wear {for the age of the plow} Lots of rust cracks condition of wires. You will be able to tell if it looks abused.

6. polvoson

polvoson Junior Member

Thanks for all the tips!

I found a 12' plow. The Mog can take it but is it too big? I think unless I was doing really large open areas 12 feet is just too huge? Am I correct in this?

Paul

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

12' would be a big blade to run around town with.