1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to look for when buying a used plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by basswacker, Dec 14, 2010.

1. basswacker

basswacker Junior Member
    from MASS.

what do i need to get from blade to littlest part?

Thanks

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

mount and wiring....along with CASH

3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Like Hydro said you need a mount that will fit your truck, then you need lights, wiring harness for plow and lights,switch for lights, controls for plow. If your buying used check the plow carefully, look for play or slop where the moldboard and A-frame connect, look at the mold board and make sure it's not bent, and check all the welds.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A dealer. If you buy a used unit installed form a dealer you don't need to worry about it.

If you are going out on your own make sure the unit you are looking at is applicable to your truck and that the cost of the additional parts you have to purchase don't add up to close to the value of a new plow. It's hard to keep track if you're in the business, it's even worse for the DIY guy. things like 99-04 ford 05-07 08+ all take different mounts. Headlight systems change even when body styles don't, some trucks offer more then one light style in the same model year truck, etc.

I talk to folks every fall who have paid a couple grand for a ten year old plow it great condition that the manufacturer no longer supports or need to spend another couple thousand for parts. Once a used straight blade's cost is over 3K it had better have EVERYTHING you need included.

5. basswacker

basswacker Junior Member
    from MASS.

the plow im looking at is a 6ft minute mount and the guy wants $200 for everything. it is off a 1995 s-10 blazer and im putting on a 1991 s-10 blazer. but i dont want to have to put another $500 +/- into it. i have never had a plow before so i dont know what to look for.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

there price is right even if the plow is a little small 6'6" would be better.

Fisher does not list the 91 blazer but they do list a 95 so I would guess it would not work

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

No the mount from a 95 S-10 blazer will not fit a 91 S-10 Blazer without modification. In 1994 Chevy changed almost everything on the S-10 blazers. frame, and body. So unless you or a good friend is very handy with a welder, I would pass on it.