1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to look for in a used truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mayhem, Aug 30, 2006.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I've been looking alot at Chevy/GMC pickups to do plow and general purpose duty at home (my driveway only) and figured it woul dbe a good idea to check with some experts about what to look for when considering a late model (99-01) 1/2-3/4 ton truck. They're all high mileage...130k-170k but that may not be the worst thing in the world if it was cared for properly (fluids changed, u-joints and brakes kept up, etc.).

What might be some problem areas I should be giving extra attention to? I found one excelelnt candidate on autotrader, but its got 157k...dealer says highway miles, but isn't it always highway miles? Sight unseen and forgiving the miles this truck is absolutely ideal for me...I can plow with it and use it to move my family around too when i need to go get something big and/or dirty. its about a 3 hour drive to go to the dealer so I might go see it this weekend or next.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe somehting like this is worth considering if I addded an aftermarket warranty?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rbronkema psfd

Rbronkema psfd Member

That is a lot of miles for a truck. I have a 02 silverado with 54k on it. I would look at the tranny the rearend. How long the plow has been on the truck. Try and get ahold of the previous owner and see what he has done for the truck. See if he had any problems with it. Hope this helps

Ryan

3. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

I would look at a different truck, that interior is gross.

just my .02

4. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a lower milage and add a plow or used plow. Trucks that havent plowed usually make the best or you may get lucky and get a good used truck with the plow already on it.

5. mayhem

from Peru MA

So would I be better off with a 10 year old truck with 100,000-120,000 on it for $7-9k (with plow) or with a 6 year old truck with 150k on it and a plow? Thats pretty much what I'm seeing available.

I've got a ceiling budget of $10k to cover a truck, plow and whatever costs may be associated with the truck (needs tires or brakes for example). Used plows seem to be awfully expensive...or did until I started looking at new ones...used MM setups for $2500 suddenly started looking pretty nice.

Not crazy about the all blue tratment either, but that is a seriously nice, comfortable looking interior from behind the wheel of my 85 Sierra.

Thanks for the advice.

6. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

7. Mamps

Mamps Junior Member

Truck

Just to give my 1.5 cents worth, I would also by a truck with higher miles that does not have a plow installed already. You should be able to pick up a pretty nice truck 2000 2500hd with about 150,000 for about 6500 and plow should be about 3500

I know we just sold 2- 2001 Ford F-250 with plows and spreaders for $8500. They had about 65,000-70,000 miles on them. They were work trucks so the paint was beat up a bit, and inside was dirty, however very well maintained. To be honest though the bottoms were rusted on them from salting. We steam wash our trucks after every trip out but there is no way to get all the salt off.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would look for a truck that has not plowed. You never know how it has been driven and there are some guys that can kill a truck in one season. There are also guys that drive them for 10 years and they are still perfect.

9. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Plow, no plow, high miles, low miles - ugh.

If the truck looks sharp with near zero rust or body damage or interior damage then take a closer look. Look for leaks or sepage in the brake drums, trans, front axel, oil pan, head gaskets and water pump. Look for a puff of smoke when starting it up, pull the trans dip stick and check color and materials, there should be no hesitation during a test drive - make sure the vehicle is at full running temperature, curising speed should have no vibrations. If this seems all good then your biggie components are probably in somewhat good shape.

10. stillen

stillen Senior Member

GMC all the way man

Dude, I got a 1995 GMC 2500 , extended cab, has 160k on the clock, never plowed and the thing just keeps going, I wanna buy a newer truck as soon as it dies, but it might be a few years...

Dealer offered me 5500 on a tradein, but i opted not to buy the f-250............

11. mayhem

from Peru MA

Located and puchased a 2000 Chevy 2500 extended cab yesterday. Everything I was looking for and then some...and at a price I could afford.

91k, heated leather interior, Husky diamond plate tool box, bed liner, remote start,etc.. Never plowed, nor even used hard it looks like...the bed liner isn't even scuffed up. Dealer wanted $13k for it, got it for $11.2k plus ttt.

Now I need a plow, nerf bars and maybe some aux backup lights.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

12. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

Is it the newer body style or the old body style. I have an 8' fisher plow that I'm selling that is currently on a 2000 GMC 2500, old body style. If your interested let me know. It would include all mounting hardware that is currently on the truck now.

13. mayhem

from Peru MA

New style so I assume I'd need a truck frame and maybe a wiring harness? I'm interested depensing on the cost (of course). Nice that I'm a reasonable distance from you if we work something out. Tell me more about it. What model, type of controller? What was it used for?

14. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

Plow is a 8' HD MM1, with a backdrag blade. Plow was on the truck when I bought it 3 years ago. Truck only had 15,000 miles on it when I bought it so it didn't see much use. I've used it the past 3 years when I started my business, and my accounts have grown over the last few years, but so far I've never had more than 20 customers a year. I've changed the fluid every fall, and right now I'm in the process of painting it and getting it ready for winter, so who-ever buys it can use it right away. I should be done in the next couple of days. I actually just put in a new solenoid under the hood today, even though it's going to be taken out again on the 22nd when my new plow is installed. The reason I'm selling it is because the local fisher dealer is just to far away from me if something happens during a storm, and I'm getting a slightly bigger plow. I'm asking $1500 for it, and will also include all components that are on the truck now. So the only thing you might need is push plates, but I'm now sure. Where in MA do you live. I'm actually going to be in the Greenfield are the weekend of the 22nd, if your interested I can move my install date up and bring it down with me. Plow has worked great for me and has never let me down. The only thing I would suggest that if you get it is to have it serviced just in case. I was going to do that this year but I got a good deal on a new plow. Any questions just ask, I'll get some photos up when I'm done with it. I do have some pictures from last year on one of my other posts titled "My money maker". Thanks for your interest.

15. mayhem

from Peru MA

Ignore my post in the other thread.

I'm interested in the plow and I live in Peru which is about an hour from Greenfeld so that could work out well. I just need to see what I need to buy to get it on my new truck and we might be able to work something out. No need to change your schedule.

Thanks.

16. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

Mayhem,
    I just looked at the owners manual for some info on the plow, it's a MM1, solenoid electric hydraulic pak. The date of the owners manual is 1998, but I don't know the year of the plow, my guess is that it was brand new when the truck was bought so it could be a 1998 holdover. I know some of the plows have 3 conectors in the grill for the plow, this one has 2, not sure if this helps at all, but it's all the paperwork I have for the plow. There used to be a serial number on the headgear, but the lable that it was on rusted off. I'll try to get a photo of it up tonight, and let me know if you are interested and I'll see if the dealer for my new plow has an opening to install it this week. If you have any questions you can send me an e-mail to "groundwork@surfglobal.net" or call me at 802-862-5617.

17. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

Photos added

Mayhem,
    I added some photos of the plow to my post in the for sale section. I did move my install date on my new plow to this week so it will be available that weekend I come to MA. Probably should continue talking about this in the for sale section. Any questions let me know.