1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to look for in a used plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Bashby, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Been plowing for several years and own all yellow plows, have some experience with Boss, but none with Western. I bought a 94 f350 idi diesel AT with a Western mount. From my reearch I found it is a unimount. I think I want at least an 8' plow. Is 8.5' too heavy? I see a few on craigslist that look a little rough. Are there any areas in particular that wear or break that I should be aware of while shopping? Anything else to look out for? Different wiring setups? I know the new truck has a four way toggle switch but im not sure what kinda wiring connections up front. TIA.
  2. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Ive seen a few people running meyer pumps on Western plows. Is that an option on a unimount or was that on something older? I ask because I have a few good e60 pumps and am familiar with them.
  3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Like any other plow, look it over good for cracks, and rot. Look at the condition of the lights. See if you can see it operate before you by it. Thses are very simple plows to repair. The truck will handle an 8 1/2 easily.
  4. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Look for rust in the light tower.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Unimounts are extremely easy. See if you can hook it up to your truck and verify operation. Look for, lift cylinder pitting, both angle cylinders for pitting as well....and any dents or bends. A-frame pivot bolt...They egg out the hole. If you can weld and fabricate you can fix it,,,,,,but that's a talk the price down point . Leaks. Hoses. And lights.. As said look at 8.5.....8.0minimum
  6. dieselss

unimounts don't have "towers" it's angle iron and flat stock. Ultramounts have towers so to speak. Like 2 pieces of square (rectangular) stock. They had some issues with the mounting tabs rusting, or welds failing.
  7. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Damn. That dieselss guy knows his stuff!!! :)
  8. dieselss

Holiday inn express.....