1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to look for in a Duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blee1ash, Feb 18, 2010.

1. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

I'm thinking of updating my truck. I'm considering buying a duramax. I can't afford new so I will be buying used? Is there any particular problems with the duramax I should look for, or certain years to stay away from. Most of the used ones I can find have approx 100- 150,000 miles. Am I correct in assuming that with that amount of miles that they will still last for many more?

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You're making a very wise decision with the Dmax.I've had 3 now,all great trucks.The first Dmax-the LB7 had injector issues which GM fixed,but there might still be a few[2001-2003,early 2004]ones around with the original injectors,so be careful there.The next,the LLY[later 2004--2006,early 2007] had some overheating issues and chafing of a wire harness that controlled the computer for fuel delivery.The harness got repaired by GM under warranty,the overheating reason I don't think was ever really solved.Mine never overheated and I never ran across one in person,but there were many complaints on this at the ''Diesel Place''.My present truck is a 2006 LBZ version which I think is the one you really want if you can find one.90,000K miles on mine--awesome power,reliability,and never any problems.I figure on going to at least 300K. Good luck.

3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I agree the LBZ is the way to go if you want used. If you wanted something relatively new, I think it'd be best to wait for a 2011 or 2012 .
    I have a 2007 LBZ and I love it. I've got 64k miles on it and so far have only spent a couple hundred on an EGR motor. (It's the only issue I've had not covered under warranty and had to pay for)
    I haven't had any major issues as of yet, knock on wood. The older ones (01-07) are still emissions exempt and there's no power robbing DPF. Depending on where you live and/or who ya know you can delete the cat and muffler and have a happier truck. And you will be happier with a duramax!

4. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I have an LB7, I did have the injectors changed @ 84k it runs great and I have made plenty of $$ with it as well as alot of fun, all the yrs and models are grear trucks, LBZ is considered the best of all the models, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an LB7, LLY or LMM either. I have seen all perform well. There are alot of used trucks with less than 100k on them. Check Dieselplace.com as well as Duramaxforum.com, as well as Duramaxdiesels.com.

Good luck

5. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

As already stated, the only big (common knowledge) issue with the duramax, was the injectors on the early models. I have an 08 lmm i purchased new, its a great truck, good mileage, tons of power,quiet engine, comfortable cab, etc. Unlike a lot of max owners, i dont have big issues with the pollution control, that being said, i dont have to buy & maintain urea in my lmm.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Lbz is the way to go if you're buying used...they are hard to find though! Good choice on the duramax!

7. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

LLY was also a 2006 model too. It was basically same as LBZ with different tuning. Same internals.

Both are great engines with LLY getting slightly better mileage. If you could find an older LB7 with newer style injectors Id buy it.

Either way it will be a diesel and last long time. Anything is going to have inherent problems. Especially when you start adding power. Thats when the LBZ gets weak....with its pistons.

8. GreenDuramax04

GreenDuramax04 Junior Member

I have a 2004 LB7 with about 100k miles on it. Never any major problems so far. I think the injectors are covered to 200k miles or so by GM. I'd also agree that you cant got wrong with any 2001-07 Duramax.

9. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

lb7 injectors covereted under warranty for 10 years 250,000 miles i think, all great engines tho. love mine.

10. wannabeplowing

wannabeplowing Senior Member

I'm liking what I'm hearing on this thread, I'm also considering selling my F150 to by a duramax and thought I heard bad things about the 01-03's and I found an 03 with 96,000 miles on it but I'm not sure how to tell the LBZ or whatever all that is about, is it part of the VIN number by chance? And the guy is asking $16,500 OBO on the truck and it's a got a little lift and aftermarket wheels and tires, seems like a hell of a deal but what do I know I've only owned fords:D

11. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Yes you can tell by VIN,

01-04 LB7
    04.5-05 LLY
    06 some are LLY
    06-07 LBZ
    07.5- + LMM

some 04's were LB7 and some were LLY I believe the 8th digit in the VIN tells you 1, its an LB7, a 2 its an LLY. Not sure what the VIN is on the 06 LLY/LBZ

12. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Its 7 years 200k.

13. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

No such thing, GM will just replace the injectors with reman Bosch injectors.

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Correct. I have an 01 that needed injectors this summer. It feel within the milage, but was older than the 7 year cut-off. Not a cheap repair, about $3500 for a smoll shop to repair. From what I understand, the '01's & early '02's were somewhere around 35 hours booktime to replace. Mid '02 & later something was changed to access the injectors easier, bringing the booktime down around 15 hours from what I recall. The injectors are expensive, but the labor adds up quick as well. I'd look for a late '02 or later if it was me.

15. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

OK, I'll sound like a broken record too. I'd rather go without sex than give up my D-Max! The LBZ is terrific, I have 30K on mine now and plan on keeping it for 30 years. It's not even fair to compare a D-max to an F-150. Not that I have anything at all against the Fords, I own one of those too. They just aren't marketed to the same demographic. F-150 is the best selling passenger car in America. D-max trucks are the best heavy duty pickup in America. JMHO... :salute:

16. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

LB7's are LB7's no variation of injectors or how they are installed, the only thing that might be a factor is Federal emissions vs. Cali emmissions, I would imagine the Fed trucks are easier (less time) than the Cali trucks. 01-04 have the same exact LB7. 03+ they did change the engine harness but injectors remain the same.

17. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

:laughing: sad thing is its so true!!!!!!!

X2!!!!:drinkup:

18. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll agree to a point.It all depends on who you're having that sex with.:) I can think of a few that come to mind.

19. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

20. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Sad thing is, he is right, I'd rather go without sex rather than be without my truck. Shhhhhh don't tell anyone though, especially my ol' lady!!!!