1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to know when purchaseing a 5.4 F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mid-Ohio Scaper, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Looking to make a truck purchase this spring.... Basically the truck in the pic is what I'm after.
    2007 F250 5.4

What problems do I need to watch out for?

12289_17.jpg

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

carfax it , check obd codes . i believe that is a triton engine .

3. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

cracked exhaust manifolds

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Brake lines,trans lines .

5. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Check the right rear brake. If they havent recently been reaplaced it will be toast.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

dont buy it if it has been a plow truck in the past

7. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

also check for power. wait........ 5.4s dont have any power nevermind

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

One of our trucks is an 06 with the 5.4L and as of yesterday it has 60'ish K on it. The only things we've had to do to it was replace the exhaust studs and gaskets one it one time and a couple years later (last month) we had to replace both exhaust manifolds, studs and gaskets. Both times it was after towing our skid steer and some other things on the trailer long distances. We put a K&N air induction with air filter on it and a programmable chip when it was new, other than that it's been problem free and its towed or pushed snow since it was new. 5.4L's might not have a ton of power but ours has done everything we've asked it to do. I wouldn't shy away from a 5.4L, they are solid engines!

9. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Just curious on why the right rear brake? Just changed ours this year.

10. Mid-Ohio Scaper

I was wondering the same???

11. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Thank you! This is some great feedback!

12. Mid-Ohio Scaper

I have the powerstroke for serious power when needed....Thumbs Up The 5.4 is going to be towing a 20' hardscape tool trailer & plowing snow in the winter. Something the 5.4 is more than capable of doing.

13. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

like all fords watch out for the oil pans being rusty. i have a 5.4 and love it for light and medium work but have a powerstroke for the heavy lifting

14. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I have had 3 of the 5.4s, check the manifolds, check for the lifter tick, find out when and if the spark plugs have been changed, check the tranny lines, I would check the rear diff cover for rust. I would also check the bed mounts for rusting, also check the sway bar links and suspension!

15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

IMPORTANT IS

how old coolant?
    Have oil been changed? Motorcraft oil filter or aftermarket filter?
    Peek in oil cap with flashlight look at camshaft while it idle do you see oil splash on it?
    Check exhaust pipe if it black it been running rich need fix.
    Look harder in coolant they do had issue with oil get in coolant.
    Ask owner what oil they use? 5w20-5w30 is ok but 10-40-20W50 isn't OK.

I will disagree with anybody over KN air filter. I wouldn't dare put that KN air filter on my fleet. I use stock purolast or motorcraft so I can know dust not going pass though air filter and get in engine ruin cylinder then it suck tons oil.

I never have issues with exhaust manifold or studs on mine but I don't drive like employees while tow heavy load and drive across water puddles. When you have common sense don't ever drive across water puddle those will break studs quick. Learn hard way when I did with my Explorer.

Inspect rear axle brakes. I have 2 with defective brakes cause they wasn't maintain by previous owner so it was cost fortune to fix them. They got rusted and seized.

16. Mid-Ohio Scaper

The lifter tick. Is that a common thing? I've heard a lot of Ford gassers tick. Is that what that is?

17. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Thanks!!! This is a great check list of things to watch for!

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

So I must have no common sense and it should never be driven in the rain right? to avoid puddles of course. Funny, both times mine went bad were on dry thru-ways during the winter. To the OP.... Problem is they get too hot while basically maxing out there performance for long periods of time, they warp, stretch and crack the cheap studs. They usually break off at the manifold and IF your lucky you can still get something on them to remove the complete stud. Most of the time you end up replacing the manifold, gaskets and studs to the tune of 500-900 (or more depending where you take it and if they use OEM parts). Good news though, if you have an Advance Auto Parts store near you, you can buy a "aftermarket" manifold which seem to be nothing more than an OEM cleaned up and the surfaced shaved so everything is nice and level for 95.00 compared to Ford's 300.00 or so each! Another thing, these new 5.4L's are 4 valves per cylinder versus the older 2 or 3 valve per cylinder (its been so long I can't remember what they were) but the old style kept blowing out spark plugs through the tops of the cylinders but thats a thing of the past. I worked on these things weekly years ago and I never heard or seen oil in the coolant, not saying it never happen but I never saw it. About the only other thing we've had to do, and it is common is ball joints, if you plan on running a plow on it expect to replace them every other year. One last thing I remember is check the oil dip stick tube where it bolts to the head, when we replaced the manifold we took off the dip stick tube and where they weld the bracket to bolt it to the head rots away letting dirt right into the engine, other than that just check maintenance records and all the obvious stuff.

19. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Brian Young

Care to explain why I found THICK BROWN SLUDGE inside tank. It was common issue from early 5.4L to mid 2002 not sure exact. When they finally update head gasket issue that was LEAK on passenger side.

It was look like this [​IMG]

20. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

The tick could be bad manifolds or lifter problems, the cam phasers go bad causing the tick