1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to keep salt in when the town gives you...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lotsoflights, Nov 18, 2004.

1. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

Hi,
    What do you put large amounts of salt in when the town will not let you put up a portable storage tent? purplebou purplebou :redbounce

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Exactly how much salt are you talking about? Some states have very strict laws regarding salt storage. Is it more than you could just cover with tarp?

3. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

Amount

Well...I will need to keep around 10-15 tons...I could tarp it but I have the cover at another location and I need to use my loader to load my sander...I know some people have used dumpsters and soild containers...

4. I've heard a few guy's on the site use the dumpsters that can be rented from a carting company.

5. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We have a salt dome but other guys around here use 4 foot long and two foot square retaining wall concrete blocks and build an enclosure. Easy to put up if you have a wheel loader or backhoe and can be stacked during the summer months to give you back your yard space. Here they cost about $50 Cdn apiece