1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to hang a plow on

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by captbo, Feb 17, 2003.

1. captbo

captbo Senior Member

I have a 2001 f-350 crew cab diesal 4x4 and an 92 full size bronco. This would not be used all the time , what product brand and what truck would you hang it on and why,, Thanks Capt. Bo

2. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Let us hear what you intend to do with either of these, that will help in the thought process? Commercial, straight residential. What size commercial lotts, complexes. All of these would affect my decision on which to put a plow on, and the type of plow, especially the Bronco....

Rick

3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I'd put a Western 8.5 V plow on that F350. That truck will hold up better for plowing then the Bronco, plus it's a diesel. I would choose the Western because I think Western has a great reputation and they build a very sturdy plow. I would go with a V plow because they give you alot more versitility and they're very efficient.
    Just my opinion.

4. captbo

captbo Senior Member

right now I would do my own 100 plus foot drive and my shop /office lot
    This winter has been a freak and I don't think i will do this a profession
    I have heard the crew cab diesl should not be used as a plow truck , don't know why , sure see a bunch of them out there
    Thanks in advance, Capt. Bo

5. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Personally, I would use the f-350. But if you are intending to do Your drive only, and your office. The bronco would be fine. That way you save the new truck. Just change out the springs from the standard, which I believe are somewhere around 3450's, and put in the 3850's or get a custom set made up at a local spring shop. As far as the plow for that truck, a meyers would be fine. Just shy away from an e- 60. I prefer fisher myself, but that is only an opinion.

Rick

6. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Put it on the Bronco. Get the lightest plow you can find for the money. Doesn't matter what brand. Don't worry about the front springs. Just use the darn thing and don't sweat the wear and tear. Little ballest weight in the back and you are golden. You're just doing your own stuff right? Couple hrs right? :cool:

PS. When I said "lightest plow" I meant by weight, not structure.

7. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

For the use you described I would put the plow on the bronco. Those bronco's have a nice turning radius and can handle a small plow without any trouble.

As far as the brand of plow goes I would suggest you see what dealers are in your area first. If you find several different dealers locally repost back and guys can give you the pro's and con's to each brand in there non biased opinion (yeah right).

As for your F-350, it is a diesel which is good for plowing hours on end due to fuel economy and diesels have great low end power for pushing snow as I am sure you know. But, it is a dually which is not great for plowing (rear wheels stick out in unplowed snow) and it is such a new truck to beat up.

8. captbo

captbo Senior Member

Thanks All lots of great info!, any thoughts on were to look for a plow? I live in Sounrthern md I will look in the book , it just not a big snow area until yesterday!.. Thanks again!

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

1. Yellow pages
    2. Used truck/equipment forum here on PlowSite
    3. Used truck trader magazine
    4. eBay