1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to Get? Full or Mini?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Jettix2, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready for my 5th season of plowing.........new equipment, new needs.

I've got an '08 F250 Crew Cab 6.4L with a Western MVP Pro on it. I'm using it to plow my personal driveway (takes 25 mins), which dumps out onto the road at the top of a blind hill............and I plow our church parking lot (takes about an hour).

The truck has a cap on the back, so no chance at using a BackRack for lighting. It also does NOT have a HD alternator, though my plowing is limited to < 1HR at a time.

I can spend up to about $300-ish for a light bar, and I want the best/brightest thing I can find. The end of the driveway is a dangerous place to be. My thought is to go with a full size bar, because the size/width of the bar gives more exposure, and move visibility in poor locations, versus a mini bar. Yes/No?

What should I get? Whelen Mini-Edge? Whelen Edge 9000 (used, on Ebay)? Federal Signal Highlighter (hard to find for a reasonable price, Galls is sold out)..... Wolo Infinity 1? (looks really old-school).

I wouldn't mind a Whelen Edge 9000 with some take down lights, alley lights, etc to help see what I'm doing at the church at 5AM:) But, it's got to be a "loaded" bar, otherwise the whole center section is nothing but empty reflectors, taking up 2x the space but not really doing a whole lot more than the Mini-Edge would do (other than getting the ends of the bar closer to the edge of the truck, which helps visibility)

I'd love a full low-profile LED bar, but that's obviously about 3x out of my price range:)

Any thoughts are appreciated!!

Thanks, Ben

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions here, so let me offer mine. The only way you'd be able to run a full sized bar with a standard alternator is to go with LEDs. That's pretty well going to put it out of your price range though. There are some new, smaller LED units that have come down in price and might just fit your bill though.

The only other things I can think of are strobe / mini-bar units which have a slightly higher (amperage) draw, but can still be handled safely by a standard alternator. These also generate enough heat to melt snow and ice - something LEDs do not.

Finally, you could go with a halogen rotator, but from an amperage draw standpoint, it's the highest. From an attention getting standpoint, it's tough to beat rotators. It's also the lowest cost. Whelen makes a nice little 2 rotator unit as do a number of other manufacturers. Good luck!

3. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

I think I might go with the SoundOff Signal Mini Pinnacle LED light bar.

It's relatively low cost (low $200 range), has great reviews here on the site as having excellent brightness and visibility, and it's LED so it should not draw too much amperage from the truck. It's not a huge bar, but it should work, I think.

:)

4. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

So what are the pros/cons of the SoundOff LED3 Mini and the Soundoff Pinnacle mini?

5. Toolin Customs

Toolin Customs Member
    from Md

They are almost identical. The LED3 mini bar uses the regular led3 surface mount mods. Which are great little lights, however they dont have quite the viewing angle of the pinnacle mini. the pinnical mini uses the new fusion technology that have built in diffusion on each indvidual led bulb. both lights actually use the same housing, which can be either perm mount or mag. for the money I usually recomend the pinnical Mini. But dont take my word for it, search around online, there are plenty of videos available.

6. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

I'd love a full size. I just couldn't justify the cash outlay (at the moment).

I just ordered a Mini Pinnacle from SL&E. The review on here and several online reports, show the mini to be an excellent value and very bright.