1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to get and where from?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by exmark1, Jan 13, 2010.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking to put strobes in my new truck which is a 2008 F-250 Crew Short Bed.

What do I all need in order to put this equipment in or would I be better off paying someone to do it for me?

Also where and what make is the best place to get the strobes from?

2. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

I don't know how handy you are or what tools you have but a drill, 1" spade or hole cutter bit, phillips head, star bit, soldering iron, shrink tube, electrical connectors, crimpers, wire strippers, and time is about all it takes to put strobes in..(strobes help too!)..lol...now, cutting into a $400 set of headlights....that takes brass to contemplate and then do....lol....I put whelen vertex led strobes in the rear and have the ambers for the front headlights...just haven't done it...take your time, follow directions, re-read the directions, then start....a buddy in the area who is knowledgable about electrical systems is a strong idea but not nessecary...as always, if stuck, ask on here.

I know that Safety Lighting on here (notice the plug, I'm gonna call you) has a plowing special on amber lighting that is good...I haven't used him yet but I've went with Sirennet.com before for ordering LED's and recieved really good service....jmo but I would go with LED's due to longevity and ease of syncing them up together (whelen anyway) but that's just me....good luck deciding...theres a ton out there on this.

3. exmark1

I agree the LED's would be worth it! I have been reading info on stobes for the last hour

4. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

LOL, thank you sir.

exmark:
    You will lose days reading all the opinions on whether to go with strobes or LEDs. I like and use both. My Charger is all LEDs, but my 08 Silverado only has strobes. It actually has 6 in the rear tails, looks awesome because the Silverado tail lights are red top and bottom with clear in the middle. Anyways, I won't try to swing you either way. You should keep researching and decide for yourself.
    I will tell you that you get what you pay for. You probably spent over $30K buying yor truck so don't skimp on the quality of what you are installing in it. Insist on weatherproof connections. As Humvee stated, I have some strobe value packages that I just released, so you can take a look there if you want.

http://safetylightingandequipment.com/

What state are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

heres what you do,
    1. get a drill that can hold a 1" bit
    2. go to harware store and get 1" but, a 7/8" bit and a gramuet i think its called (a piece of rubber put in a hole to prevent metal from slicing wire), also you will need silicone and 10 amp glass fuse, 3 amp regulard fuse, and a few butt connectors, and some 14 ga wire, and a switch, 2 switches if you want to change pattern and 3 if you want to have a Hi/ LO powermode (i just have 2) (mode and on/off
    3. put your power supply under your seat (drivers seat) drill a hole under the carpet, this requires pulling up that plastic step, run all your wires under it and there will be a hole in your firewall some where, so find it and put wires to battery, and run your passenger strobe thru there too.
    4. that 7/8" hole that you put under your carpet, put your other 3 wires in there, and run the 2 back ones up into the lights. and the drivers side up thru the engine compartment.

5. headlights first, (if you werent able to find a 1" bit, you can use a door handle drilling bit)
    6. mark where you want you lights, mine are on top, and drill slowly, if you do crack it, there only about 500$ lights to replace .... so drlll. place the strobes in the light, make sure there not touching anything and silicone time. si,licone it it and your good,
    7. ok so after your headlights are done, pull your tail lights out, if your smart, you would know that you have to turn your bulb holders counter-clockwise, and they will come out, and then your tail light will come off, now if its warm out side you can drill this out side but if its cold, below 40' then do it inside. drill the hole where you think the light wont touch plastic (it will melt the plastic). put the light in and silicone the S*** out of it, you dont want water getting in there.
    8. hook all your wires up and your good. (you can not have the ground be a poice of metal for your power supply, you must complete the circiut, and run it to the neggitave of the battery, then hoook up your switch, and your good,

this took me about 2 hours total time.

have fun and if you need help pm me Good luck and dont forget to tape your ends =)

6. exmark1

Minnesota, I am when I decide going to spend good money on them since yes the truck was $35,000 with everything

7. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Missed a step

Ajslands, I think you forgot to tell him where to install the grommet so that the wires don't get chafed.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I went with the whelen amber vertex LED's on my 08 superduty. I put them in the reverse lights.
    There is not alot of room for error; they just make it without touching the reverse bulb. There have been other posts on here about strobes melting lenses from the heat , so you may want to see if others have put them in successfully. I also went with LINZ6's in the rear doors for side coverage and in the rear window. I made some custom brackets and used 3M dual lock to hold them on. I have not done anything for the front yet I'm still thinking on that. I am currently using a magnetic rotator on top of the cab so I can be seen from the front. I like the LED's because the current draw is much less. Do some searching on you tube lots of different video's. As far as the install there are video's for that as well.
    Make sure all your connections are weather tight.
    If you have the upfitter switches the wiring diagram is on the attached link.
    https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q117.pdf
    page 6 & 7 applies to the 2008

9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I really want to put anber vertex's in the cab clearance lights. I will be looking for a way to do this come the summer. I have also considered the back sides of the tow mirrors.

10. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic