1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to expect?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mainerenegade, Dec 5, 2012.

1. mainerenegade

mainerenegade Junior Member
    from rumford

Hey! I am new to plowing. I have a small lawn care business and want to go year round so i am not spending my savings account all winter and come spring have to start from scratch.. I have a 2000 f250 with a 2 yard electric multi speed down easter poly sander and an 8ft straight blade mm2 plow set up. And a 2000 chevy silverado that is going to be used to carry around the snowblower, load of sand, and walk behind sand/salt spreader for the person doing the walk ways and stairs

My question is. Is it possible to hit the $40,000.00 For first year plow guys?
    I am staying commercial with a few residentials but mostly commercial is my goal.

What is the average plowing income with a one plow operation? I know some will say it depends on hard you work or try to get work etc. No nosense just please give a rough idea so i know what to expect. I dont need to know how much this guy or that guy makes just a rough average and break down.

one truck with plow and sander how should they be able to make?

say two truck with plows and sanders how much can they make?

etc.
    :dizzy:

Thanks.

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Do you have any accounts now?

3. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

I would start off by subcontracting for a company first. Learn how to plow and what you should be biding jobs at. Then in a few years look into getting the all the insurance needed for commercial snow plowing.

As for making 40K on your first year. I would be more concerned about getting the right insurance and learning how to set up a route and plow / salt customers the right way and at the right times so you don't end up with a lawsuit the could easily wipe out all of your saving and lawn care supplies in one shot!! Along with any houses or car and trucks you own!!

Good luck to you! :salute:

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Add up your contracts. Then subtract insurance, fuel, maintenance, taxes, pay the help. Get the idea?

5. mainerenegade

mainerenegade Junior Member
    from rumford

I all ready have full insurance for landscaping and plowing. So i am covered there.

6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

sure $40,000 could be possible, but I guess so could $4,000,000, unlikey... but possible.

Your asking a queston with no answer that nobody but you could answer! Good luck though!

7. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Talk that coverage over with your agent. Be clear about your plans with him. Commercial plowing and salting opens new ways to get sued. Be covered before you start.

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

ill ask again, do you have any accounts right now? commercial or residental?

9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Too many variables to give a answer...

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Gross or net? $40,000 is alot of plowing for one truck.

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Is there a difference?

12. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

I think you should expect to Fail......................:eek:

That way you won't be let down......................:salute:

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

16 oz vs 12 oz

14. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

More like a case vs a can

15. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

Bud or Bud Light.................:drinkup:

16. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

we are all on track as usual:laughing:

17. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

seems like u started wayyyyyyy to late, gotta start early summer.

18. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Yip! Contracts were signed months ago! The only accounts left are the small gas stations and hotels. And we all know who runs 90% of them places. Good luck getting paid! :laughing:

19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If the Rumford in your info is Rumford ,Maine I would say no to 40k. maybe 10k

20. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Hence the reason for my questions earlier that he didnt respond too ... 10k will even be pushin it as the local economy up there isnt pretty (depressed mill town)

OP when you post a question, you might try answering a few questions directed toward you ... it helps us "help" you ... good luck to you this season!