1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to expect from this advertising?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

I have handed out juts over 200 postcards with my business name and phone number on it.

As well i put on the back of each one, price per time.

My prices average between 25 to 45 and some at 50 to 55 a driveway per push.

The prices i think are probably about $5 more then what some guys are going out for and about 5 to 10 dollars lower then some other guys.

Now i handed these out to areas around my first three contracts. 100 in one area and 100 in the other area, both areas are apart from each other by 5 minutes.

Now my question is, what could i expect to get on a response from this method of advertising, like a percentage. say %10 or %5 what ever you think it will return seriously.

Also i am going to hand out another 50 to each area. i also handed out 50 business cards to houses states the price per visit on it.

What would you do if way too many come back? like say 60 or more come back wanting the service.

What would you say if alot of them called once the first snow hit. I told one guy today that the price i put on the cards and post cards are for contracts only, outside contract is higher price. Is this a good idea considering they waited until it snowed and don't want to sign the contract and they only want to call when they just don't feel like doing it.

Also what else would you suggest me to do for advertising, i have on kijiji.ca already everyday, and my website will have somethings on there as well. I am thinking possibly make a few half decent sized signs and put them up on the poles in the area on the main streets around there.

I want to get 30 contracts, average of $30 per push.
    minimum of 25 at least with average of $35 per push.

Just let me know what you suggest me to do to get to my goal, I was also offered $60 an hour to work for another contractor as a sub for plowing, so if i don't get my total for contracts it won't kill me.
  2. ScnicExcellence

also what is the possibility of getting more contracts once the snow flies?
  3. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

3-5 percent return is a realistic assumptionpayuppayup
  4. tom_mccauley

All you need to do is be seen in a plow truck when you have 6" on the ground and EVERYBODY wants to be your best friend!!! alot of the resi's i do are pickup jobs,(A.K.A. drive by plowing!!)
  5. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

That's hard to plan for! Just wish people would step up to the plate and sign up. Take the head ache out of it.
  6. tom_mccauley

In a perfect world that would happen!!!!! lol. I leave my blazer open just for drive by's that is all he does (besides hangin' out a Mickey D's or the doughnut shop or what ever they do!!!!) I get stopped, he gets two way'ed.
  7. ScnicExcellence

well hopefully i can get enough contracts to not have to worry about driveby's

but if driveby it must be then driveby it will be.
  8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

They need an incentive to "CALL NOW"
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Carry contracts, ask every drive-by you do if they want to sign a contract. If you do Drive-bys at a slightly higher price then contracts, offer them the lower price and a guaranteed spot in your scheduling, if they sign the contract RIGHT THEN. if they sign then give them the contract price, if they say they'll mail it. have to talk to the wife/husband, etc charge them the full amount.
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I always charge drive-bys almost twice what I do regular customers.
  11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's why you plow them at 3 in the morning when everyone is sleeping! :sleeping:
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not neccessarily. I've been flagged down twice in eight years - different years. Most times, I'm out there till about noon. Often late into the afternoon. The first year plowing, I even tried driving around looking for jobs and stopping when I'd see people shoveling. Didn't get one - big waste of gas.
  13. tom_mccauley

You should move to Coldwater then! lol! you can hardly get your route done around here. I've had people come right up to my doorstep, because they saw a plow on my truck!!!. I don't really understand it because every Tom,Dick,and Harry has a plow on there damn truck around here but NOBODY plows ANYBODY at least it seems that way!.
  14. ScnicExcellence

well lets hope i can find enough contracts not to worry about this. I think once the snow flies alot of those people i gave the advertising too will be calling, i also have a way to make my company at the top of googles list when searching kitchener snow plowing.

i think once snow hits i will get alot of calls but i would rather have the contracts. this way i can garuantee them the service and i can garuantee my bills are payed.
  15. tom_mccauley

Just remember to keep up with the advertising, very important!!!! getting your name out there, Let your quality of work do your advertising for you. word of mouth is the best advertisment there is. If you don't disappoint your customers, give quality service on time,you should be able to get enough work to keep you and your truck busy every event. I am assuming you are a 1 truck operation?. OH!, make sure you have a backup plan if your truck goes down, like a buddy with a plow that can fill in if something happens to your rig. You will find that your customers could care less that you broke your truck, they want to know when their drives will be done!!!!!!. Some people can be a real P.I.T.A!!!payuppayuppayuppayup
  16. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i agree with you on that to an entent. i was on the same boat untill i got my new truck. always plowed the same area day in day out. ot y new truck and i got stopped like a dozen+ times easy. i just figured it that people see you with a kinda beat up truck and you do crappy work, and if you have a ne truck you must do great work.
  17. ScnicExcellence

yes i am a one truck operation but i do have a back up person that will cost me a pretty penny but will get the job done.

the truck i am buying comes with a complete second truck for parts so i am going to take what ever i think will or might faill off the parts truck and put in storage at my house or the shop and then if something goes wrong bammm i already have the parts hopefully this will work out for me. i am for sure keeping the tranny and diff's and the 4x4 transfer case.

I am not sure what else to keep though. maybe some fenders just in case of fender bender.

the truck i am getting is a 1988 gmc 1500 and a 1991 gmc 1500 the body and engine are btter condition in the 1988 so i will be putting the 88 on the road and the 91 for parts. both for 1500 bux.
  18. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

1to 2% call back
  19. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

Pick up the phone and call all the business around you. Banks are great customers. They always buy shovel, sand, salt, and plow. They don't care about the hours or cost. They just want it done right. The phone is your best bet to getting customers signed up early. This is what you should say. " Hello this is your name with your company name. I am interested in submitting a snow removal proposal for your porperty and wanted to know if you are currently accepting proposals for the up season." This will get you in the door every time. Good Luck
  20. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I wish it worked that way. I bought an '05 Silverado 3/4 ton brand new and new 8' Fisher. No difference.