1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to expect and look for

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, May 22, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I am in the process of having a mechanic who has performed work on my vechicles before look for a used plow truck for me.I told him I don't want to spend anymore than 5k.As a heads up he will look vechicle over the best he can but what do I need to pay attention to and advise him about with regards to purchasing this.Example, type of plow,I want 3/4 ton, make etc.Dave

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I bought a used plow truck once and never will again.
    My truck got the name "THE BIG RED DRAIN" 2 weeks after I bought it.

I would be real careful buying a Used Plow Truck. In that price range it probably has had the wheels run off it. There is a lot of stuff that rusts out on plow trucks, that can run big money to repair. Like oil pans,gas tanks radiator supports, floor boards.The front axle might need service too,U joints and seals are fairly cheap but labor intensive to replace.If you can find a good used truck that has the plow prep or towing package you can put a plow on it. I prefer a 3/4 ton / heavy duty / big alternator / duel batteries and Meyer plow.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Buying a used plow truck is always scary. My price range was under $5000 when I was looking for mine. All the ones I test drove were junk. 1985 Chevy 2500, good truck, but no reverse and didn't get out of 2nd gear... that was $4750. I knew that it was time to upgrade my price range. I eventually found the truck I have now. Spent a bit more on it, but it had never plowed and came with a Fisher attached to it. It is a 13 year old truck, but I am the only one that has plowed with it. I feel better knowing that nobody has beaten on it. I go real easy especially since it is a 1/2 ton. With any truck you are going to have that first month where everything seems to go wrong. It is increased or decreased based on the price you spend to begin with. I am thinking about selling mine soon, so if your interested...:D

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

try to find a clean 3/4 ton without a plow then buy the plow . most truck that have been used for plowing and for only 5g's is probaly beat

john

5. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Make sure maint. has been done. and have a list of what has been done - the more details the better.
    Ps- I'm selling my 86 1 ton chevy dump with a diesel /4spd -9' fisher for $5500. Almost everything has been replaced/rebuilt- repainted. The truck has been in the family since 87-88
    Let me know - I can give alot of details.
    Joel