1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by redplowman, Feb 10, 2010.

1. redplowman

redplowman Member

I have a 92 Ford F-250 4x4 with a 7.5 western. Today when plowing the transmission was loosing fluid on the input shaft side. I think it probably over heated but cant figure why since it has a tranny cooler. Anyone know if the factory tranny coolers are any good. Should I go to an aftermarket cooler, if so what kind would you suggest. I would appreciate any words of wisdom anyone has on this. Thanks ahead of time.

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

what transmission? C6 3 speed or e4od overdrive? the e4ods are much more prone to problems. the C6 can take a beating. if you have the factory cooler it is ok, but really any reputable aftermarket one would be better. if you can find a stock cooler from a 6.0 powerstroke thats the one to get.

depending on if you overheated it and how badly, the damage may already be done. whats the fluid level? what does the fluid look like? a good idea for the future would be to install a trans temp gauge. its easy and cheap to do.

3. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

depending on if you overheated it and how badly, the damage may already be done. whats the fluid level? what does the fluid look like? a good idea for the future would be to install a trans temp gauge. its easy and cheap to do.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Check that fluid before you do anything.

4. redplowman

redplowman Member

Fluid is a little murcky and has some black flakes in it. This is what we found when we blew the tranny lines out. Dropped the pan and everything looking clean there. Question about the tranny temp guage. Do they sell a specific guage for the tranny, if so what is a good one? It is a E4OD

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  5. redplowman

redplowman Member

Changing filter and fluid tonight. Going to look into a guage and a bigger tranny cooler. Let me know if anyone has any more advise. Thanks for what you gave.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use hard line on all the cooler lines.No chinks or crimps. Use a tubing bender. Make sure they are anchored down so they don't move around. After install, spray the lines down with FLUID FILM. The thin steel lines corrode quickly.