1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pheasantfarmer, Nov 20, 2009.

1. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

Oh ok first of all this is my first post but i have been reading a bunch of stuff on this forum for the last couple months. I have a bunch of buddies that are plowing as contractors and i would be to but I am in college so i can't be plowing all the time. In my "starting your own business class" I am writing a business plan for a lawn care and snow removal business that i would be starting for the 2010 to 2011. But this year i want some extra cash and would like to do a little snow removal.

I have a 1 ton Dodge Cummins for my hay bailing business and for fun but i don't want to put a plow on that. If i plow next year i will go out a buy a plow truck.

But anyway I have a John Deere 425 with a 46 in or 47 in 2-stage snow blower and that is what i would use. I am only thinking of trying to pick up about 3 hours max of driveways with a 6in dump of snow even though for the blower a 3in or 6in snowfall takes about the same time. So i am thinking up to 10 of your normal 2 car width and 2 car length residential driveways. I live outside a small city of $5,000 with a nice golf course so i thought i could probably get 10 for i was thinking about $40 a plow for a normal driveway wtih a 2in trigger

Does that seem right for 2in trigger and 10 driveway at $40 a push cause that is what i am gathering from reading. I guess i could go cheap like $30 but if i can get 10 driveways for $40 that would be great.

My only concern is, yes i know about insurance and of course next year when i actually go all out and plow with a truck i will get insurance but do i need it now? I know it would be a good idea but i don't want to be spending $1000 a month for insurance for doing only 10 drives....any suggestions or is my idea of the insurance price to high

any other suggestions? I appreciate all your advice and will try to follow it i don't want to do anything stupid just trying to get started. By the way i live in MN hour south of the Twin Cities. Thanks

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I pay 800 a year, per truck, for Gen liability plowing insurance and Commercial Auto.

I would not plow snow if it was 12000 a year....per truck.

3. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

hahaa that was somebodies # they gave me i thought it was a lot, I haven't checked locally...I guess i will figure that out this week.

So I take it i would need the same as if i was using a truck...so get gen liability plowing insurance? any specific insurance companies to go with?

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You need insurance more in beginning than as you gain experience. More likelihood of something happening. Unfortunately, some people think the other way around.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Contact your insurance guy and see what he suggests, then post back to get replies on what people here think.

6. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

oh ok thanks everyone. Yes i want to be insured, so i will talk and get a quote with that within this week. I of course want to be insured even though our tractor is a slick setup with good view and control, and i will do a great job, i still want to sleep in peace every night that someone won't fall and sue me for everything.

Does everything else sound right? I know i could bid each driveway individually but in residential areas the driveways all the driveways are about the same size so i thought just in the flyer or something give each person a set price of what $25, $30, $40 for the average 2 car driveway? I only need 10 or so driveways for 2 to 3 hours per push of the average 4in to 6in snowfall.

Thanks any advice is really appreciated!!!

7. Mick

from Maine

Sounds good, if they're all approx the same size. Keep it as simple as possible for both you and the customer.

8. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

yeah if they are all about the same size which they are I thought it would be great and easy when I send flyers out if I have the price for each time i plow. That way i only get calls from people interested and not people wanting to know how much or when i can come and bid.

So what would you all charge for a driveway that is 2 car widths and 3 car lengths roughly. I am seeing everything from $20 to $50....I was thinking $30 to $40

Also is 2in trigger the right amount and what times do you all do residential. I would like to do them between 4:30am-6:30am but is that to early am i going to wake people up? If it started snowing at 9pm could i wait till 1pm when after i get done with my college classes to start clearing driveways?? Cause I have classes from 8am to Noon. So it would have to working before 7am or at 1pm

thanks

9. Mick

from Maine

Talk to your customers to find out what they want/need. Most people will want to have it cleared so they can go to work. Some, like medical people, police etc will have other needs. Trigger - find out local custom. I usually go with a 3" trigger, but some customers want less and are willing to pay for individual treatment.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Every customer is different in what they want.
    Ask when they want plowed and where they want the snow.