1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CityGuy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

First off 2008 6.0 gas Chevy crew cab short box.
    Just wondering if anyone has tried any of those after market items that supposedly increase your gas mileage. I was reading about the tornado and thought about it but hesitant. Will more airflow increase my mpg? Would running better fuel help? 92 octane instead of 87? Fuel additives anything? Just trying to get more mpg out of my truck.

A side not it seems that as the weather got colder I got worse fuel mileage than during the warmer months. I understand that idling plays a role but even with out this it still is worse. I was seeing 12-14 mpg according to the on-board computer during the end of last summer and now lucky to get 9.5 any ideas?

2. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Snake oil,been a lot of threads on other sites about it and they all said it was junk.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Your best bet for better fuel milage is probably a custom pcm tune.
    And the winter blend of fuel hurts milage. I don't get that great in the winter either.
    From what I've heard the 6.0's arn't spectacular on fuel either, seems low teens is about average on summer fuel.

4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i've got the 6.0. seeing about 10-11 mpg with 800 pounds in the bed. mixed highway and city

5. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

My boss has a crew cab long box (longest config) 2008 GMC sierra 4x4 2500 with the 6 speed automatic and the 6.0L gas, he gets 22L/100km or translated 10.69 mpg according to the truck computer. He also drives with a really heavy foot though.

6. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I ran that tornado thing in my truck a few years ago. Same motor u have, 6.0. What a waste of time. I ran thru 2 tanks and didn't see any difference in fuel mileage increase so I yanked it out and returned it.

I have come to terms accepting the fact that my truck will never see anything better then 10.5 mpg during normal driving conditions and will never see anything better then 6.5-7 mpg pulling a trailer or out plowing.

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

There are two things that will help improve fuel economy in a 6.0 truck.

- Custom PCM tune.
    - Sell it.

You've got a heavy duty truck that tips the scales at over 3 tons without a payload and its got a big V8 engine thats designed to get that thing moving with 5-6 tons of payload between the bed and a trailer and keep that mass moving. Economy takes a back seat to utility.

It may just be me, but I don't tend to trust built in trip computers...at least not without verifying their accuracy. Have you calculated your mileage longhand to see if its accurate?

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Ok so it sounds like a pcm tune may help. Does anyone have expierence with a particular brand that they recomend? And are they viewable by gm and what do they do to the warreny? I have seen a few in magazines they all claim to increase hp which in my mind an increase in hp = more fuel and worse economy. Am I wrong?

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Im not too sure on the whole warranty thing for the tune. I have one, from Nelson Performance in my truck. I was seeing around 10-12 city and at best 14-15 highway. Now with the tune I average 14 city and best was 19 on the highway. Towing I get around 12 mpg and fuel consumption plowing is 2-2.5 gallons per hour. It was more than well worth the money. It firmed the shifts a ton and got rid of alot of the torque management GM has. I can get good tire spin all of first and a lil into 2nd. Im not sure of the exact HP/TQ numbers but I am willing to bet they are wayyyyyy better than before. The tune gives you very good performance and also bumps up your fuel economy. I highly recommend it for anyone with the 6.0/8.1 in the trucks. Also have it for the 96-99 vortec 5.7s too. This company ONLY deals with GM cars and trucks, nothing else. My best recommendation before you do the tune, is to put a 180 degree thermostat in (gives them more room to tune) a cold air intake (stay away from the oiled filters or you will have issues!!) and a catback exhaust. Get that engine breathing better and running a lil cooler and you will love the results.

And no I dont work for the company nor do I get paid anything from them. Just sharing my honest opinion of the tune and the quality of the service they provide.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've heard good about justin at blackbear tuning. He and his better half jenna are active members on Fullsizechevy.com

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009