1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Team_Yamaha, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Hi guys, have been hanging around the site for a while, and I must say that I have learned quit a bit. I just started plowing for my dad who left last week for Arizona until March, and the first snow that I had to plow was 11" and 7 1/2 hours worth yesterday.

I have been useing his 93 Jeep TJ 4.0L/5 spd with 6.5' Western for plowing the accounts that him and I have, but now dad is talking about selling the Jeep. Now the question is, do I buy the Jeep or put a plow on my truck? I have a 1994 F-150 4X4 300-6/5 spd, 4.10 gears with a Detroit locker in the rear and the truck has a 2.5" leveing kit in the front. I am kinda leaning towards putting a plow on my truck and running airbags the the coil springs, but I am just a little worried about the front axle.

My next question is if I do put a plow on my truck, what do you guys think that I should put on for a plow?? I was kinda thinking a 7.5' snoway or western standard plow. What do you guys think???

Thanks Paul
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Why not use one of those F350s in your signature?
  3. PHS79

PHS79 Member

That was supposed to be posted under my screen name.... :confused: I thought that Scott logged out of his, opps my bad.
  4. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

I thought the same thing.. lol
  5. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

I'd say if that jeep is running well, plow functioning as it should, it's a proven performer thats ready to go, buy it from dad. Surely you would get the "Family discount", and have a great truck for plowing.
  6. Bayrat

Bayrat Junior Member
    from usa

Wasn't '94 the first year for the new design? I recall there was an issue putting a plow on the front of that model. Something to do with component strength. If that is the older style, there are plenty running around with plows. Personally, I would go for the Jeep.
  7. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

I don't think I'd put a plow on any new half ton truck. At least the old ones all ya had to do was add a couple leafs to the springs. I'm sure you could beef up the newer ones also, they just don't seem as tough as the older trucks were.
  8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i would buy the jeep, it is already set up and ready to go. there is alot of stress put on a truck that plows and since the jeep it set, why put that kind of wear and tear on your truck.
  9. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

First of all there is no such thing as a '93 jeep TJ. The TJ's were built from '97 to present. If it is a '93 Wrangler then it is a YJ (square headlights and leaf springs in the front). They are a great plow vehicle and I would stay with that........already set up and a proven performer.