1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by caz41, Dec 10, 2004.

1. caz41

caz41 Member

Here's the dilema that I have. So I go out this morning doing my route and upon getting to three of my contracts, I find that they have already been done. To make a long story short. I find out that they have been done by an elderly gentleman from the area that has nothing better to do than plow snow to try and keep himself busy. A little background on the man; he goes around plowing snow for people because he has nothing else to do. He refuses to take money from anyone who tries to pay him. My problem is that I really don't want to be a jerk to this guy cuz he is the nicest man you will ever meet. If it was some slug just trying to grab some of my contracts it would be a different story. How should I go about handling the situation.

2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Do you have any way of contacting this man? If so, explain to him that you can appreciate the fact that he is retired, and this gives him something to do. As a matter of fact, it's even very commndable and an extremely considerable act. But also ask him to please understand...you AREN'T retired. You do this to feed your family. You also have this equipment and insurance to pay for (providing you do) because this is the business that you're in. I'm sure he's made his, raised his family, and obviously lives o.k. to spend his money on gas like this for "entertainment". I am sure that there are plenty of other people around the area and around town that would greatly appreciate their places plowed for free. Just let him know where you're accounts are, and he will more than likely, respectfully, stay away off of them. Then, offer to buy him a cup of coffee. You never know...this mighht be a good guy to know in case you ever get into a pinch. Also, just merely suggest this to him...If he visits the local senior community center, they can probably give him a list of names of people who would not only be greater appreciative of these acts, but could also use the service more for health, financial, and other reasons. If he is the type of guy like he sounds like he is, he would probably want to concentrate his efforts where they are better utilized. Good luck with it.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Listen you have a contract to plow these lots... so if he is doing them and screws something up who is to blame??? You will be held liable...why because YOU have the contract. Lets face it there are times to be nice and times when you have to buck up and face the facts...he is doing something that YOU are responsible for with out your permission... So I would just find this guy and explain to him that YOU were contracted to do the plowing on these lots, and YOU will be collecting $$$ from the owners, and YOU are responsible for it so please STOP plowing in these areas, and if he does not stop he will face some sort of repercussion. Being nice does not count when you are being sued for something the old retired guy did "to just be a nice guy, and was bored." Lets face it you bud and win the contracts so you have to STOP this before it gets out of control. Sometimes you just have to be the bad guy.

4. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

RUNNER is right--GO talk to HIM & offer HIm a Cup of Coffee--He will understand? I Would! & I*M Retired! & I Do plow Elderly Driveways--that No one Plows--& why? Don*t YOU Go Collect from Your Customers? as they probably Don*t Know? Who? this Guy is? & if they Don*t? They will PAY You!--& YOU might?just make a New FREIND? & IF? YOU ever Break Down? heres Your Chance to have HIM DO what-ever? Until YOU get Repaired & Going Again!-- as Bleak as It looks NOW! Could be a Good Deal if You handle it RIGHT!--Let US Know?? How YOU make Out?? --Ole JIM--

5. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Yeah, collect the dollars. Just tell the owners the old man works for you. :drinkup: Collect dollar! be thankful you arn't spending money on gas and are getting the money still!!!

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Collecting the money and not paying the guy is not just unethical, but you have no control over what he does. Say he damages something.... YOU have to pay for it...not to old bored retired guy.... It is not about getting $$$ for doing nothing, it is about providing a service and having control over that service.

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with runners thoughts on this one.

8. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Why is some guy with no commitment to these people getting there before you anyway? I would think you would be waiting for your trigger and then getting in the truck and going to work. If you have a ton of accounts thats different. Most people would be understanding here, just be tactful with your approach.

9. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

We have a few people around town that do that once in a while. I just stop and talk to them. They usually understand. My situation is a little different than yours because I don't run with contracts. Usually when they are doing it "just for something to do" they are very understanding. The big KEY here is how YOU approach him.

10. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Frozen has a good point about the liability, big problems could occur if he slams into something and breaks a beam in the house or nails a BMW that is sitting in the drive way. Could make for more work if he plows to an area that the owner didn't want it to be plowed to and now you have to go in with equipment and remove it. A lot of factors. I would defintely take the approach of runner and talk to him and explain it. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out in case any of us are ever faced with this.