1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by chetekid, Oct 29, 2004.

1. chetekid

chetekid Junior Member

My first post! I have a 01 Dodge Diesel 2500 4X4 Q-Cab that I am considering putting a plow on. Stopped and got a quote today from SnoWay for about $3100 installed (that included "down force" and a remote control). Plowing my own driveway in the country. My trouble is this, I also have a 76 W200 4X4 that has a Western plow on it, it has a 440 in it and I believe the motor has just about had it. Is it worth the hassle of trying to get everything transferred from the 76 to the 01? Or is the thing to do just try and unload the truck and plow? The Western must be worth something? Thanks!!!
  2. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

You should be able to put a motor in the old Dodge for less than $3100.

Keep it for a dedicated plow truck and save your newer truck for good.

Unless you have your heart set on a new plow....

Just my $.02,
    Mark K
  3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Take some time to do the #s, add up the TRUE costs of either option and the add door number three which is contracting out a single driveway and option 3 might be your best bet. Less aggravation than getting the old truck running AND dependable, no excessive wear on your new truck and with #3 when it it snows, take the day off and relax.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

To add to what GPIN is saying, I've had several people who considered putting a plow on their truck.. Even if they already have the truck, I can show them how I can usually plow their driveway for ten years for what it would cost them just to get set up.
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Get the snoway mounted on your new truck. Its not worth transferring the old plow for many reasons but my biggest would be that you would have to have the ugly headgear on your new truck all year round. The way i see it, of course it would have been cheaper to pay a pro to plow my driveway, but i like to do things myself, and use my truck as a truck and not a car.