1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to do

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by GSS LLC, Jan 26, 2013.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Lets say freezing rain is forecasted for 2am. Then temps rise and it turns to rain after 2 hours. The business doesn't open until 6am. Do you spray/ salt etc. Or just wait because it should be gone by the time the store opens.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have that coming and I wont treat until few mins before opening
    But have several gas stations and factories They will get treated

3. What if it stays cold. You do know that if it rains on ice is stays ice for a while
    We will get it to and everything will be treated no matter what, if people want to complain about it thats fine but its my butt on the line

4. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

Whats the ground temperature? If the ground is frozen say with a few inches of frost or more I would say treat. If the ground has no frost or very little you would not need too IMO as long as air temps are above freezing.

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

treat 2hrs before opening so it has time to work...document the application for slip and fall

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It takes a lot of rain to get rid of the ice and more then 1 or 2 degrees above freezing. Also being dark hurts you. You have to treat it, we always do, learned the hard way years ago.

7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

We got nothing but rain here. But I was thinking treat the lot also. Pumps at gas stations are open 24/7 so you have to keep things clear

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just treat everything, whos going to complain about looking out for their best interest.

9. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Treat it

Proactive always beats reactive. It's cheaper and safer that way for everyone involved.

10. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

spray be for it comes then salt be opening

11. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

my theory is safety first....commercial customers have deliveries, vendors employess coming and going at all different hours. unless they are specific on the times when this will happen, we don't take chances.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  12. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Go seasonal...eliminates the question.

13. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

No it doesn't. If salt is not needed then you are wasting YOUR money. I have a harder time treating my seasonal than my per customers.