1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by glenn w, Sep 16, 2003.

1. glenn w

glenn w Junior Member
    from ohio

Just want to know if others have put a plow on a 1998 Ram 2500 24v Turbo Diesel? Local company will mount to frame due to mfg. (Dodge) stating not recommended. Weight of engine and plow is to much for the axle? I was also told the chaise is a 1 ton not a 3/4? How can you tell? Thanks for any info.

PS Also what brand plow works the best for the above truck.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

this should be good

3. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

your local is by the book

It seems to me that most 8'+ plows are over the manufacturers owner manual listed plow weight limitations . That stops no one from putting a plow on a 3/4 or one ton . A Cummins screams for a plow, go for it . A 990 # blizzard 810 is just the ticket
  4. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

dont worry your out of warrenty probably any way unless you got extended warrenty
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have a 97 Cummins ext cab 2500.FAWR is only 4850.No one recommends a plow as you will be over the FAWR.I have a 9 ft Western,and with ballst in the back,and me in the cab the front scales at 4800 lbs.More than enough.

The Cummins will push just about anything,and have no problmes carrying it either.Go as big as you can.I run a 12 footer on mine sometimes.

Get the spring codes off the front springs,on the little white tags.You may need to upgrade the front coils (easy).Adding a set of Timbrens will help as well.
  6. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

12 ft plow

What would the weight of a 12 ft plow be ?
  7. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

We have 2 - 2001 Dodge cummins, Quadcabs. Both have had plows on since birth. Many manufactures will not recommend a plow on a truck with a diesel engine but who listens to them. Our trucks have never had any major problems. Do it man, do it!:D
  8. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Yeah listen to Highpoint. DO IT!!!!. My diesel truck handles a plow better than my gassers do. Of course mine is an older dodge, but the new ones are strong to.
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Re: 12 ft plow

Heavy ! :D

I have never scaled it with the extensions on.but I'm guessing they add 100 lbs to the dead weight,and probably 250-300 with the leverage effect.
  10. glenn w

glenn w Junior Member
    from ohio

Great info

Ok got the word that the truck will handle the plow and that is what I was sure of myself. So thanks to all of you who offered there $00.02. Now lets turn the subject to purchase of the truck. The truck has 153000 miles on it and a banks turbo pack. Other than that the rest is mostly standard stuff. The NADA is some-ware between $9700.00 and $13,100.00. Thanks again for your expert knowledge.