1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Precedence, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

I received an RFP package the other day and i have been mulling over bidding on it, the upside is there are around 40 properties that they want quoted, the problem is the are scattered all over the city where i live and the surrounding county with the most distant one being 60km away from my home base. Most of them are tiny (like small driveway size areas) with 10 that would take about 30-45 min. It's an all or nothing deal so i can't just pick and choose the ones i want to take. All sites are plow and salt and all must be done before 7am.

My question is what would be the best way to do them, sub out to guys in towns near the distant sites (and have to deal with 10+ subs)? Have one truck just to go do these sites? Not bother?

2. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

I'd opt to sub a few where necessary, but it really boils down to how "good" the package deal is.

:D

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

was in a similar predicament this year, did a bunch of Scotia banks but it included some out of town ones, so what I did was solicitied a couple of high schools, and hired a couple of students in the areas i didn't want to drive and do, had conversations with the parents also, paid them well, and so far this has turned out AWESOME, i have had no complaints, parents help out when needed, and the young people are making good money for a half hour of work a event (sometimes even less) i equiped them with equipment and icemelt as needed, but to be honest, i really only hear from them once a month, they send in their schedule of snow events done, and i pay them.

Really the only issue i have had is that the previous contractor has harrassed them once or twice, i put a end to that, now no problems. Parrents keep the reliable, and kids are thrilled to be making $15/hour plus a retainer fee

4. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Is this for Bell Canada?

Charge 'em alot but service 'em well. This could seriously be a 3 truck bid. Is it actually an RFQ or is it a tender package?

Yes, one truck does the micro sites (short box Chevy with a V blade, a Toro & 1000 lbs of salt). Check the winter run time between 30 micro sites, you might need 2 trucks to finish on time.

5. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

How did you know? :)

Yes it's Bell, and it's both for winter plowing and summer lawn maintenance.