1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with all this money?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by leigh, Mar 8, 2014.

1. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

For those that were blessed with a great snow year,what's the smartest and most business savy way to handle windfall. Many just piss it away on new equipment,toys etc. Some advice from the experienced for all the less experienced.Tip # 1- If your accountant tells you to buy a new truck,look for a new accountant. Max out your 401k,ira,college fund,etc. # 2 Fund rainy day account, do you have 6 months minimum operating funds for business and household?
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I apologize. The money generated this winter will be used to do less landscape work this summer and inch closer to being snow only (except for snow customers)
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

401K, IRA, real estate, private investment account, something that will produce future income.

Quick money gets it's name from how you spend it not how you make it;)

Money I don't expect, from wherever that windfall may come from I stick in an income producing source. If I never have it to budget against I never miss it.
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Plowing helps with the bigger expenses on my rental properties. This past summer had to replace 3 roofs, 1 furnace, 1 oil tank and one turn that cost close to $30k. And I will admit I do buy myself a toy. Thumbs Up
  5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Windfall = pay down debt. The lower the debt, the better the credit. Credit is everything.
  6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

For the first time ever I agree with Buswell...
    Paying off debt frees up future windfalls, interest is an has been low tempting people to spend it up. When interest rates rise (and they will) you will spend more trying to dig yourself out. Get out sooner than later.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

At least someone is listening to me.Thumbs Up

Try and explain that on lawnsite and they eat you up and spit you out.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^ This ^^^^
  9. grandview

I should add,you can't just take that money from the business and spend it. You need to get all those deductions first and figure out how to lower your tax bill first. Then you can invest it.
  10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Agree 100%

Also agree with Grandview about lawnsite, don't even mention payments or debt........
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Always a good idea but should be balanced against contributing to a retained corporate earnings account, your own retirement and future expenses.

Lowering floating rate/term debit vs fixed rate debit are two different animals.

While I'd agree paying down floating rate loans and credit lines is a great idea and loosens cash flow, unless you are paying them off paying down fixed term can different.

Timely repayment of your debit will give you good credit.

Why would you pay off existing loans just to get back in to debit without have any retained earnings?
  12. grandview

Oh no ,I'm smelling a LS thread coming on:)
  13. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

You spoke to soon you know, lolololThumbs Up
  14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Pay off debts, credit cards, pay taxes etc.

Maybe extra payments on the house...

More equipment...

and if all else fails, strippers are always fun!!! :D
  15. grandview

strippers are always fun!!!

More equipment...

Maybe extra payments on the house...

Pay off debts, credit cards, pay taxes etc.

Fixed it.
  16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

No debts here
    New equipment be my thinking for next winter or pay uncle sam
  17. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Buy a better race car than the one I sold last year to buy equipment. Snow is my play money, steel pays the bills!
  18. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

currently my business accounts hold enough money for a year of operating funds.

so with all this money I just might buy a new truck.

I don't have a college fund and what's a 401k and an ira???
  19. grandview

The funds are for you to pay taxes with

IRA is your future..
  20. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

IRA is a great option to save because it can be tax deferred. If you ever want to retire, you want one.

I'll probably work until the day I die, but the wifey and I have enough sacked away that I could close the doors anytime I like.