1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do when plow hydo pump blows/breaks!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alwayz-plowin, Oct 12, 2010.

1. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Check out these videos...
    Would you get one of these?
    I never really looked into this but i think this would be good for a solo operation....Well commercial stuff to i guess...
    Only thing is cant pivot the plow

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2EGgNCq33Xg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2EGgNCq33Xg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

In action:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iqzudS2HWb0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iqzudS2HWb0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Biggest waste of money I have ever seen. Why the hell would you do that on a chain lift plow, or a direct lift for that matter?
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know about any of you, but when my plows are sitting down on the ground there sure isn't enough slack in the chain to one handed remove the lift chain.
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If not then how do you get your chains off. When I drop my plow and turn off the truck the plows stays locked where it is but when you drop it and it is in float all you do is push down the ram and unhook the chain.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think this is for a break down so you can plow the rest of the night.
    Not that I would ever do it either.

I wonder how long the battery booster cables are going to stay connected. First snow bank I bet.:D
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Cet, Thats exactly correct, the woman in the video never pushed down on the the lieft arm though.
  7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

You guys are funny, you act like you have never had a broken plow before

Umm, plow will not raise, drive up to a pile push ageist it, the plow will ride up the pile, chain will go slack, then you can disconnect and short chain to transport home, or in this case attach a winch

Not a bad idea, better than nothing, but for the cost you could find a used plow pump and swap them out in 30 mins. If you had it pre set up, and didn't care about removing the old pump, you could have a new one on in less than 5 mins. 3 hydro hoses, 3 quick attach wires, and have wing nuts with pre drilled holes on the frame
  8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

looks like this can be solution to all plow problems! Just think , no messy hydraulics ,
    stuck or defective cartridges , leaking hoses , complicated electrical problems ,complicated controllers , leaking or bent rams. Just a couple of inexpensive winches. Sanders going more electric, why not plows. We're starring at the future of plow technology. Cheaper plows =
    more profits! This may make it even possible to make money working for the big bad nationals!
  9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

You don't make money if they don't pay you

While I admit, having at least the ability to move the plow up and down, is better than nothing. I was in a pinch once, broke a hose with no spare, ended up "looping and strapping the plow to a fixed position, So basically I could raise and lower, but not angle....end result was very difficult and sloppy. This idea is better than nothing, but like I said your better to just have a spare pump all set up, swap the hoses, plug it in, and your back to 100%
  10. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Yeah with me i have a "Bigger Type company" So i really wouldnt need one of these unless we got a boat load of snow
    Does anyone know how much it cost?
    lol cuz i can get a cheap electric winch from walmart for $50
    Only thing is it wouldnt work on direct lift plows like BOSS which is the best plow out there....wesport

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

IDK about you guys but I think its a great idea. I mean if you broke down at 12am, no one is going to be open for at least another 6-7 hours and have no spare or additional trucks, your screwed! At least you can do a half way decent job and finish the night. Depending how many accounts you have, one nights plowing would probably pay for it.