1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do, what to do?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by BostonRamGuy, Dec 1, 2008.

1. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

I have a snowplow fleet and per the contract I need a flashing amber beacon on each vehicle. I have a full whelen set-up but I really did not want to put anything expensive on my bobcats as they will probably end up getting smashed. I bought 2 of these http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/c-electronics-005/p-RVT1018.html, and 2 of these random spotlights http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/c-electronics-005/p-6854.html. Now 1 of the beacons works and one of the spotlights works the other do not work. So I have a beacon light for $ 6 and a spotlight for $ 6, do I A) go out of my way to return them across the country, wait for replacements which might not work as 50% of my purchase did not work, or B) take the $6 loss on the spotlight try to make some sort of home made flashing light using the base/dome of the broken light. Thoughts??

2. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

I would take the $6 hit. Too much of a pain in the a$$ to go through the retuning process. plus you'll probably have to pay for the return shipping, and then they will reimburse you when they receive it. too much work for 6 bucks. jmo

3. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

they sell better stuff then that at shucks/checkers/kruger

4. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Put a low profile LED beacon on the bobcats, they're expensive, but durable as hell and won't likely get smashed on the bobcats because of their low height.

5. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Blueline any suggestions on a particular light?

6. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

7. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

What about mounting some TIR3 on the cage?

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

What do you expect for a $6.00 light. I would not have bought it in the first place..

9. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

that old saying you get what u pay for.:gunsfiring: Heck even walmarts has rotaters and spots

10. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

for plowing TIR3s are not that great as they are desinged to direct light forward only. thats why they arnt bright if you are to the side or above/below the light. the LIN3 is a much better choice b/c they have a much wider light angle therefore providing better coverage.

as for the $6 dollar light. got to autozone and get a rotator if you want to save money. if not go with those whelen LIN3s i talked about above. they are a much higher quality light and can be mounted just about anywhere.

11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

exactlyxysport

12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Well $6 is a lot of money, BUT...w/ a fleet of trucks you could probably make it back in about idk...1.5 minutes.

Personally, I'd go to Radio Shack and get some of those hard hats w/ the beacons on top...that way you can always have it with you no matter what machine you are running:D

13. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

I should have been clear. The contract says I have to have an "Amber Beacon" I have 2 LIN6's mounted to the front and back of the cats, but in order to keep my contract thats what I gotta have. (I know I know, they give out plenty of light) Its for a retirement village so I guess the older people like to see the beacons and think of the 40's? Ha. Anyways it was supposed to be a cheap solution to my problem, all in all I should have known you do get what you pay for.

14. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Not to sound rude but spend some money what do you think a $6 light is going to do? Just bite the bullet and get a good light and a cage to protect it. The more light the better. when grandpa crashes into your machine because he didn't see the crappy $6 light how much will that cost?

15. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

add a set tir3 on the side and use a ULF 44 set to rotate pattern . that makes 360 degree of coverage