1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do the night before...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BOSS LAWN, Jan 9, 2012.

1. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Curious to see what everyone does right before it starts snowing or when it's first starting.

Im a weather nazi so I sit on the NOAA radar, weather channel and local radars before the snow. I cant even sleep the night before. Thumbs Up

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Like everyone else, theres the no sleep, watching weather/radar. I usually check my equipment, call and check my partner to make sure his stuff is working, check the snow outside, gear up, realize its not deep. Get anxious. Make something warm to drink and still realize its not deep enough. I cant stand the waiting around.

3. cod8825

cod8825 Member

That is the one advatnage to being a subcontractor I just sleep and wait for the call to go out. There is usually one to two calls saying this is when we are expecting to go out.

Matt

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I see we all the same
    I cant sleep
    Glued to the weather updates
    Check trucks out
    Call guys make sure they are ready
    Most time I'll head to town and Start checking I have a Ambulance building I have no trigger on it so treat it or clear it I'll do it few times before I call everybody in

5. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

tymusicIm pretty well into a routine of starting my sidewalk work, clearing and salting at 2 inches. Then I will go back and get a machine and start plowing off some of the contract sites. 4 in the morning is usually the time I have to have the crew of 9 guys in, so if the snow doesnt materialize to a amount of a callout , I will keep plowing, and clearing off the snow. Call in the sidewalk crew at 7 or 8 a.m. Then I jump into one of the sanding salting trucks and put material down on the lanes.. Equipment has already been checked before so its all set to go.

6. cod8825

cod8825 Member

What amazes me is that unless I am missing some points that are posted in this and other threads it seems that others on here start later in the night than I. Most of our places need to be cleared bare by six in the morning. I know that it all depends on when the snow starts but I am a sidewalk only person with a pretty large route. We start at one or two in the morning with the hopes of being done by six no later than seven as I do mostly commercial and one retail.

Matt

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I try and get some from the wife before I go out.

8. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

That's usually my plan of attack.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Get some sleep.

10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Slam a sixer at 3 or 4 so I can pass out for a few hours, dvr all the local news so I don't have to watch the entire thing...

11. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I always check the equipment a few extra times, never know when you could spot something you missed earlier. The entire night I feel hyper. :bluebounc

12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I just try and get some sleep. The equipment has been checked since October. If I have to look at it again without any snow stuck to it, I will be depressed. I just pray at this point in the season, I get a chance to be hyper, and not get any sleep because it's going to snow!

13. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

So far all season our snows have been hitting at or just before dark.

I'm usually in bed by 7pm, alarm goes off at 11:30.
    I generally get 3 to 4 hrs of sleep.

A lot of times I leave the truck in the garage and hook the plow up when I back out.
    Hiniker's mounting system is da bomb and only takes a minute, even when its real cold/windy.

14. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I sleep like a baby , then plow lika a Tasmanian devil !

15. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I Drink atleast a Case of Beer......That way i completly miss the Event.....That way the People i Plow for are really Happy with Me.......:drinkup:.....:jester:

16. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

What I learned from reading the threads on plowsite here. Is that in regions where you dont get much snow thereis less tolerance for snow accumulation than there is in snowbelts. Which is great cuz you guys still get work out of something that we could wait till the next day for.

17. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

So....how's that working out for you Grandview??

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well I haven't been out all year so.....:cry:

19. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

We leave the shop at 11:00pm to start our first round, complete with
    Commercials at 7:30am. Then back through for the residentials and another round of salt (if snow continues) til noon. That's a normal day for us. If snow still comes we make a 3rd round of salt and lane clearing. When snow goes for days I usually don't sleep. I can't sleep between 5pm and 10pm. The guys say they just go home and go to bed...but I can't seem to do that.

20. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I am usually up for a few hours after I get home. I can't ever go right back to bed.