1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to do. Snow,rain, ice storm.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sir spaniourd, Dec 14, 2005.

1. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

I was wondering what are you guys going to do with the storm on Friday. It seems in MA we are getting 3"-5" of snow following by a few hours of mix precip. and rain. Are you going to plow or put de-icing before it snows?. I am feeling this is going to be a hard storm to predict. I would love to make some money but knowing it is going to rain I believe whatever amount of snow we get on Friday will melt because of the rain. Any thoughts?

2. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

when it's a mix of snow/rain/freezing rain, I always salt all my properties, and check them a lot to look for icey spots.

3. Rappa

Rappa Member

If it's going to be cold afterward, you better scrape or it will be a mess. Especially driveways and parking lots.

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Whatever we get will freeze fri night. If I salted, Id salt when storm starts and then after it starts to drop below freezing. If any slush accumlates, get on it fast before it freezes. I dont know what iam going to do, by this point, iam hoping for "one or the other" either all rain or all snow. All snow does not look like a good bet now so give me the rain. All rain does not look like a good bet either so were back to square one.

5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Most of the weather guru's are saying that the rain snow line will lift toward rt 495 maybe even out as far as Worcester. 1"-2" then rain and they are saying it will end as rain. I'm on the coast so I will pre-treat with Magic Salt and then start scraping right when it turns to rain and then see what the temp does at the end of the storm. May have to treat again as the rain will wash the residual away.

6. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

For those of you salting you'll probably be busy, but it doesn't look like a plowable storm for me :( (Waltham). They are predicting the storm will drop a few inches west and north of 495, but closer to the coast maybe an inch? I may go out after the storm if the client wants to cleanup the slush left behind.

From www.boston.com:

Tonight: A slight chance of snow between midnight and 3am, then snow, freezing rain and sleet likely. Increasing clouds, with a low around 28. Southeast wind 6 to 9 mph increasing to between 15 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday: Periods of rain possibly mixed with sleet. High around 37. Breezy, with a east wind 26 to 29 mph becoming west 16 to 19 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers before midnight. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low near 26. West wind between 14 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 38. West wind between 14 and 16 mph.

7. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

My salter is ready, get it before the rain washes it all away.

8. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Up in maine we're suppose to get 3-6 " of snow then mix with sleet/ freezing rain. Driveways I will leave until it all stops (if we dont get that much snow) that way it will be crusted on top, one pass will clear all. Keep the ice off the tar.

Commercial will be a different story, prolly keep scraping and salting best I can.

Good luck everyone!!!

9. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

I am worried about all the people being out there. I just hate when there is a blizzard and people still drive around.

10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Depending upon how much snow we get we will salt first then just leave the snow to sit till the icing is done then push it all away. Sometimes I prefer to let the ice form on the snow rather than scrape away the snow and allow the ice to form on the pavement.

11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

All storms are hard to predict, as weather forecasting is rarely accurate. Just play it by ear...

12. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

All I know is I can't wait to plow and sand. And right now it's 1:25 am and I can't sleep because I'm so excited to make more money, but I'll have to get up soon even if I went to bed, so it looks like I'll be awake for a while lol