1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to Do???? Please HELP QUICK!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Gatewayuser, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

So is anyone salting tonight in the tri-state for factories or businesses tomorrow morning I might check one at 4:00 AM I know its slick in some spots there but I don't know if I should go ahead or not considering it will be $800. Do you think they will be mad or ok with it? This is my first year and I don't want to lose a large account and they seem to be picky about everything cost and quality.

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

If its icey out salt it.
    What would you want if it were your business?

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd do it, if they complain tell tham $800 is cheap compared to a lawsuit froma slip and fall. They hired you to keep the lot clear thats what you are doing.

4. Gatewayuser

Well what I wound up doing was before I went to bed I salted the bad areas and hopefully they did not refreeze. No charge to the company. Thanks

5. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Please tell me you are going to charge them. If you don't they have you by the "peanuts" if you will. I think you know what I am saying.

JP

6. LB Landscaping

from Maine

You get $800 to sand this place, how big is it??? I would definatly not do it for free, maybe at a discount but not free. You pay for the product, truck, fuel, and a man to drive there, sand it and back, plus loading.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm wondering what the reasoning is behind not charging the company.

8. Gatewayuser

I only used 1 $9.50 bag of lesco melt and it only took 10min with drive time its just not worth it to me to charge them. When I do salt the whole thing I make $600 profit in 2 hrs so its not going to kill me to be kind once in a while. They also pay me the on the same day after the storm.

9. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Sounds to me like you did the right thing, covered your butt, that is cheep insurance from having to deal with a slip and fall!

I am sure with service like that you will have them for a long time!

10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would charge them something. it makes you look good charging them $50-100 bucks once in awhile. otherwise they will see you out there for 10 minutes and think you bill them $800

11. LB Landscaping

from Maine

I'm with Jay on this one, even if you only spent a couple of bucks. How big is this place anyway? It takes you 2 hours to sand it, is the $800 per storm or per application?

12. Gatewayuser

I went at 11 at night so I don't think anyone saw me. That price is for 1 application. Its a good size I have docks and lots to do.

13. Young Pup

Just my thoughts on this but if it was me I would be charging something. Once you give a freebie away they are going to expect it everytime. Yes only one bag was used, your time, your gas and so on was also used. Yes you are trying to be nice but you are running a business as well. As said before, you were covering yourself for a slip and fall ,but to cover you for that, you pay insurance which costs money. Just my thoughts.

14. Gatewayuser

They won't expect freebies they probably don't even know I salted, I have been running a landscape company for 3 years and know how to control freebie problems.

15. Young Pup

Cool. Good luck. Have you fully recovered from your wisdom teeth surgery? I went through that and had about the same issues afterwards as you with the blood and such.

16. Gatewayuser

No, I still can't eat anything thats not soft, I'm getting really tired of pasta and ice cream. It still hurts pretty bad and I can't take any pain pills because of voly emt class I'm taking, my face is bruised good too. I go Thursday to have my stitches taken out.
    Thanks for asking!:waving:

17. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Remember this philosopy. You can give a customer what ever they want and they even get to choose. Tell them that you can do it good, fast or cheap and they can pick any two!

Anybody that is fussy an both quality and price is bound to be a pain in the A$$.

18. Gatewayuser

They are not so thats good.