1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to do if your going off to collage ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by teamgreendude, Jun 30, 2011.

1. teamgreendude

teamgreendude Senior Member

Well the title says it all, I'm going to Kansas State University to obtain a degree in turf grass management. My question is should I just drop snow removal all together for now and pick up were i left off 4 years later ? I have been doing residential snow removal for 6 years now and commercial sidewalks for another 2 years, and now I've been getting alot of phone calls from commercial customers requesting plowing for their lots. Currently My parents are on my a$$ for thinking about snow, but since I have a chevy 2500hd diesel and I don't want it to sit in the winter. If you were in my shoes what would you do ? I really want to put a boss 8'2'' v plow on her but I don't know. SO what would you do ?
    Thanks,
    James

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Get your degree and don't worry about plowing right now. In 4 years there will still be snow and there will still be people who need snow removal.

3. teamgreendude

It's just so hard to let go of it after 6 years, my parents have been telling me that and I worried enough that they'll have trouble keeping my business going for a while.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

take a few spelling/english classes while you're at it ;)

Give it a try, how far is your school from your accounts? I drove home (4 hours each way) on some weekends to plow some 12"+ storms and made enough to cover travel expenses and still make it worth it. Keep it small and if all goes well take on more accounts next year.

5. teamgreendude

KSU from my house is about 2 hours, I know if I continue to get contracts I could easily get 4-5 good sized parking lots. What my parents aren't cool with is finding someone to plow them while I'm away, I mean I'll be there 9 out o 12 months. Alldayrj were you in a similar situation ? btw wahts speiillling ? :laughing::laughing:

6. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed for my uncle, he has guys who usually run his trucks/loaders but he prefers o give me the work since i'm his nephew. when we knew a big storm was coming i would head home.

Maybe you should try and sub for someone who has the accounts so the responsibility isnt 100% on your shoulders or someone closer to school. why would your parents worry about plowing the accounts, is it their business?

I just graduated this may FYI

7. teamgreendude

It's my business and I've been using my snowblowers to long now, I'd rather plow in the comfort of my dura-max. I'm still trying to decide what to do though.

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

TeamGreen-

I'm a senior at SUNY-Cobleskill right now, majoring in landscape contracting (bachelors). My college is about 3 hours from my house (in NJ where my accounts are) in good weather, 5 hours+ if I have to drive home in a snowstorm, 4x4 all the way home (been there done that) :eek: . Now, like you I had been plowing since I was 14, and when I was a freshman in college I had about 20 drives (if memory serves). I had a guy plow them for me for 2 storms the winter of my freshman year- it was more of a headache trying to get him to plow them and not screw up than me just driving down in the storm and doing them myself with my truck (he was a fellow landscaper using his own truck). So, for all my years after that, I lined up another guy (landscaper buddy of mine) with his own truck, to cover my accounts if I wasn't able to get home to do them myself (if I had exams on a given day/storm was impassible, etc.). I think he's plowed 4x for me in the last 2 winters. I always come home, brave the storms if needed, to plow and head back to school as soon as my accounts are clean. Is it stressful, insane, and probably a bad idea to drive non-stop for 2 days (back and forth from school and plowing) in a snowstorm then have classes/exams to make up? YES. Is it worth it to me to have the peace of mind to know my accounts are done? YES. Would I recommend it? Not your freshman year- college takes some getting used to- a lot of kids fail out their freshman year- dont be one of them! I'd say stick to school this winter, if you think you can swing it, put a blade on your truck your soph year and do the commuter gig I did.

Also- my parents made it VERY clear that they wanted NOTHING to do with my plowing- IMO you shouldn't depend on your parents to take care of YOUR accounts.... I've done it all on my own (I park in their driveway and live in their home when I'm in NJ, but everything else is all on me).

Hope this helps- in short- it's do-able to commute to plow, but stressful and definitely takes some of the fun out of college when all your buddies are boozing it up the night before a blizzard when school's cancelled, and you're driving home in 18" of blinding snow to go plow all night......:rolleyes: But to me, the payup is well worth my drive, even for a little, 2" storm ussmileyflag

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  9. teamgreendude

Well about my parents with my company, I started in 01 with nothing except a walmart mower and My dad has been helping me with quick books for billing and other stuff. For now ( freshman year) I'm just going to wait until sophomore year to plow commercially, As it turned out alot of the commercials I mentioned were Low-balled out by some moneybags kid that claims to have 15 years of plowing under his belt. I can't believe the Management company bought That !!!! Like I was saying I'm just going to have my employee do the drives and sidewalks until I'm sure I can balance school and work.
    Thanks Matt !!

10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a good plan!:salute: