1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do Here

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Dec 16, 2005.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

The snow began in this area at 3pm and stopped at 7pm.At that time iwas not precipatating at all untill 12:00.At this time it began to rain unitil 5 am at which time it snowed until 8am light in nature. It stopped snowing and the sun came out.I have agreement that once it stops snowing go ahead and start route.Most off. the driveways, thats all I do, were asphalt showing.But after I left we got a 1/2 inch coating of that wet slop.The weather report was totally off, never got more than 3 inches, this is my trigger after that it was rain.Thats when I made decision to go out.My question is I feel that the job was not completed to my satisfaction(still some snow on pavement) I think I should run through them again clean them up.I am not sure if I can justify additional charge since I misjudged the ending of the storm or should I add on some additional expense.I do not have contracts its all verbal agreement.And yes I have insurance and I pay taxes.Or was it a good call. Dave

2. mole

mole Senior Member

if no one has called call it a good move. but do what you feel is right. remember someone might hurt them selves trying to shovel that heavy stuff. you might go and clean them up and call it a early christmas present. it will go a long way.

3. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I had a simular situation....

It snowed from 7am until 9pm. By noon there was 3" and 9pm there was about 6"... Most people would complain if i came at noon and then at 9 or 10. So I said screw it i will just go at 9...

Well by 2pm I had people calling, and people kept calling asking me "where are you I cant get in my driveway". Long story short people would call asking me where I was, and then others would call b!tching that its to late. Anyways, I didnt get home until 5 or 6am.

4. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I plow more often than not. I'd rather lose a little time and push 2 inchs at a time rather than risk damaging equipment by moving a mountain. So sometimes, I'm in a similar situation. I usually put it in the good will basket, don't charge extra.

I feel that it evens out in that a blown rear or trans is big money while an extra pass pushing minimal snow costs very little.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

If you feel crappy about the job you did, go fix it so it's to your liking.

If you don't want to charge for it, put in, "light clean-up ---- no charge" on your invoice, or something along those lines, might even want to put a ", Merry Christmas" after it so they don't think you're going to do it all the time.

Yesterday I went and scraped down a couple of banks I do, just because I figured they'd call anyways.

I'm on contract with them, so it's a little different situation, but I could have just stayed home and not worried about it, to see if people would call.

I'm of the mindset though that I'd rather go and do what I think is the right thing to do first, rather than wait for people to call. If no one ever calls, then you're doing your job right. If people start calling, then you don't know if they're going to feel the need next year to get someone that they don't have to call.....

6. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Haha nice Mark... same thing happened to me. Well I started by myself at noon and hit my "priority resis" because I knew they'd be bitching if they got home from work and they couldnt get in their drive.... then it kept snowing and snowing and I got both trucks out on the route at 7pm. Finished the route at 230am, then stayed out by myself doing commericials till 6am. Wow..... 18 hours on the clock for myself! I did get a few calls from people when they got home from work wondering why I hadn't been by, man that's always frustrating.

How do you handle your irrate customers?
    I just tell them we're out working and we'll be there as soon as we can. Then usually I'll throw in some BS like "even though it's been snowing all day, we just hit our trigger mark about 2 hours ago and your house is 4 hours into the route.. so we'll be by shortly"

7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

LOL, ya it sucked. Plus not only did it snow for sooo long, it was sooooo wet. I swear if we dont get a warm up, im not going to have anywhere to put the snow at my commercial lots. With the snow being so wet last snowfall, I had trouble stacking, and I was NOT about to go smashing into a pile at 20mph into hard wet snow just to clear an extra parking space, lol.

My irrate customers, I usually just say "okay" and let it go in one ear and out the other...

The thing that pisses me off is these kind of people:

I plow the guy house at 1am. he comes outside and says "mark i need it to be done by 8am or else I will find someone else"... I go "buddy, its 1am, now you tell me if its before 8am or not, have a good night sleep good bye". He slammed the door shut on me, lol. I could careless though, he was pissing me off, and I was all cranky because I was up from 4am already.

haha, I hope we get a warm up!